Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moisture/Missing?

:roll: Guys and Gals,Bare with me here.

My bike 82GS1100G sits in my basement.It has been in the 90'S here in Ky for about three weeks now.Needless to say my air conditioner has been running pretty much all day and night lately. The basement is real cold and damp feeling.I have'nt had alot of time to ride as of late.

On to question, Could my bike be drawing moisture into it?

I took it out for a short ride on Saturday after sitting for a week and a half and it sputtered and spat off and on the whole trip.

I took it out last night and rode it about 62 miles and it did the same thing.Finally after about 40 miles it started to act some better,I took it up and down the Interstate at high rates of speed and really tried to warm it up good and then would put around town. It still wanted to sput a little below 2700 RPM'S.

Nothing been done to the bike as far as different gas or any carb work since the last time it was rode regularly.

8O Michael

I doubt your problem is a moisture problem. It sounds like you ran your bike a sufficient distance to dry up any potential moisture anyway. Sounds more like a fuel problem to me.

Comment

Do you keep your gas tank full when stored? Even leaving it in there over night can cause condensation to form in the gas tank, then you have water in your gas. Put a bottle of HEAT, or other dry gas in it to remove any moisture you have now. Top your gas tank off before you bring it home from now on. Storeing it full will minimize surfaces for condensation.

Tim

Comment

All the answers you have above are correct.

If you need a quick fix for water/gas problems, add about 2 ounces of
        Isopropyl alcohol to the tank. (Also called IPA, and rubbing alcohol..buy a bottle that shows per centage of 70 or higher) Get it at any drugstore.

Water in gas leaves two separate components, and only one burns, but the alcohol is miscible with water (and gas), so when it flows into the engine it will take the water with it, and the engine will run without problem

It also serves as an anti-freeze so if your air conditioner is turned WAY UP, your bike is still safe.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X