82 gs 1100 welded crank ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs 1100 welded crank ?

I have an 82 gs1100 engine in an 83 gs1100 chassis,8" over swingarm,96 gsxr wheels,5/8 offset sprocket,200 series rear tire
    ,it has 2002 gsxr 600 forks /triple clamps,02 footpegs,shifter,brakelever,engine is stock,I want to run a 1166cc /10;25 comp.,100 hp,daily driver,with a 100 hp nitrous shot,who welds the cranks in these engines.

Mine was done at a place in Florida. It is on it's way back up as we speak. I am not sure of the name right now but I will find out tomorrow. If no one else has replied by then.

Comment

Falicon or something like that??

Comment

Yes that is it!

My mechanic is handling it for me. I will get the info from him.
        He is a performance shop mechanic and this is the place he
        recomended so I would say they are most likely the best.

He has never let me down in the 21 years I have been taking
        my bikes to him.

Comment

gs 1100 crank

Thanks guys,I was told to weld the crank,run forged pistons,use straight cut gears,and a heavy duty clutch basket.I need it to hold up to drag race abuse.

Comment

Re: gs 1100 crank

Originally posted by RifRafRacing
            Thanks guys,I was told to weld the crank,run forged pistons,use straight cut gears,and a heavy duty clutch basket.I need it to hold up to drag race abuse.
            Running straight cut gears means disassembly of the crank, replacement of the primary gear on the crank, re-assembly, then welding of the crank. A straight cut gear will also have to be mounted on the clutch basket. If you are going to that extent I would also advise back cutting the dogs on your transmission...especially if you have the case split and the crank out.

Hap

Comment

Here is the info:

Falicon Performance
              Florida
              727-797-2468

Joe said the only work with dealers though but said to give them a call anyway. They are by far the best according to him.

Comment

gs 1100 welded crank

do you think the straight cut gears are overkill?I was told that the helical gears, that are stock on these engines,pushed hard enough will drive the clutch basket into the case.(aka: 200 hp launch with 7" slick/wheelie bar).I dont want to spring for the expense ,if this is something only needed for cartire pro stock type setups.

Comment

Re: gs 1100 welded crank

do you think the straight cut gears are overkill?I was told that the helical gears, that are stock on these engines,pushed hard enough will drive the clutch basket into the case.(aka: 200 hp launch with 7" slick/wheelie bar).I dont want to spring for the expense ,if this is something only needed for cartire pro stock type setups.
                  Your are talking about 200HP here...that can be a lot of force in a drag situation. With 200 HP and a bike that weighs 530 lbs you are looking at a 9 second runner in the hands of the right person. It would be good insurance if you have the laughing gas... if you keep total output below 140 hp a heavy duty clutch basket is all you would probably need.

The work alone on the crank (replacement of the primary gear, indexing, welding, and balancing) is going to be in the $800 - $1000 range....if you change the bearings add another $250 for parts.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                    Your are talking about 200HP here...that can be a lot of force in a drag situation. With 200 HP and a bike that weighs 530 lbs you are looking at a 9 second runner in the hands of the right person. It would be good insurance if you have the laughing gas... if you keep total output below 140 hp a heavy duty clutch basket is all you would probably need.

The work alone on the crank (replacement of the primary gear, indexing, welding, and balancing) is going to be in the $800 - $1000 range....if you change the bearings add another $250 for parts.

Hap
                    Hap, I just had most of that done, replacment of the output side end, balancing and welding along with new bearings and it came out to just over 350 from Falicon in Florida. Am i missing something or is some of the work you mention that I didn't get done just that much more expensive? Or maybe dealers are soaking people whereas my mechanic is getting it done at cost for me? That latter one could be. He is a good guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

Hap
                      Hap, I just had most of that done, replacment of the output side end, balancing and welding along with new bearings and it came out to just over 350 from Falicon in Florida. Am i missing something or is some of the work you mention that I didn't get done just that much more expensive? Or maybe dealers are soaking people whereas my mechanic is getting it done at cost for me? That latter one could be. He is a good guy.
                      Sounds like you got a deal...I was going by what I remembered from the last Falicon pricing guide they sent me. I will check it again when I get home...

Hap

Comment

I cant believe that falicon even welded the crank for $350.00
                        WOW 8O 8O

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

Sounds like you got a deal...I was going by what I remembered from the last Falicon pricing guide they sent me. I will check it again when I get home...

Hap

I was off a little but not much. Joe said the total was 427.00
                          Still not bad for what all they did.

Comment

hows your crank

thanks for the input ,I race a 93 gsxr 1100 watercooled,and this engine is really tough,I have 4 seasons on a stock motor,flatslides,pipe(135bhp)with a 90hp shot.oh yeah GS ,maybe I run it back and forth to work,instead of trying to break it.!!! thanks guys. "WFO" till you see god,then brake!

Comment

Working...
                            X