Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach cable Adapter / Housing

Hi guys,

While getting the newly acquired '78 GS1000 in running shape, one of the problems which I've noticed is that the tachometer cable adapter/housing is broke.

Now, the cylindrical piece that is broken off, is still inside the cylinder head. There is nothing left to grab hold of, unless I pull on the actual stem of the tach gear which potrudes out. Can this be pulled out this way, or do I have to take off the cam cover, and work at it from that angle?

Also, does anyone know what the part number for that part is? As most of you already know, you can't look it up under Bikebandit.com anymore, they now only show Bike Bandit p/n's....not Suzuki's.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

i think you're going to have to pull the cam cover to get a good look at it. its probably your best bet and easiest way to work on it.

we took mine off a few weeks ago...it was pretty easy.

~Adam

Comment

The piece you mention happens to be oval on my bike. What I do to remove it is turn it a bit and jam a flat screw driver or chisel in between the retainer and the valve cover. This will leave a mark on your motor so beware. Now that I've realized the cable can be unscrewed by hand I won't be doing it that way anymore.

Steve

Comment

The best bet is to take off the cam cover, as you will have to check the valves anyway. The piece is a snug fit, and you want to make sure nothing is potentially loose to stuff up the cam gears.

Comment

I have a 67 megabyte PDF file that is the entire service microfiche for the 1978 GS1000 C and EC models.

I can look the part number up for you when I get home.
          And, if you have a high bandwidth internet connection or
          even if you don't and you would like the PDF file I will
          gladly let you download it from me.

I bought it on one of those $9.99 + $3.00 shipping microfiche CD's from an ebay seller. I was disapointed to see it was what I knew it was going to be (home made and cheep) but needed the info non-the less. So if any of you guys reading would like it and want to save the $$$ no need for us all to pay too much. I have already done that for us

Just let me know and I will make arrangments for anyone that wants it to download it from me. It is in no way copywrited or protected so it is perfectly legal for me to give it to you.

Just let me know.
          I also have the actual microfiche itself for this year and one of the members here is also sending me the Haynes service manual for this bike. Anything I have I share. let me know.

Comment

I would be interested thanks. I have a 78 GS1000EC. It would save having to troll through bikebandit all the time. My email is saaz@bigpond.net.au if you want to send details of how to download..I have an ADSL connection.

Comment

Add me to your ICQ, I see you have it as well. Message me then and when I get home we can talk from there and I can get it to you. I hooked Ron up with it last night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did that work out for then Ron?

Comment

Thanks a million for the file, Hoomgar. It's just what I needed to find the correct p/n's for this pesky little piece, and all the seals that go with it. Now, it's off to RonAyers to spend some money........
                Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                1982 GS1100E
                1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Working...
                X