Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Exhaust"ed Topic!!!

Hello all you vessels of vast knowledge out there

I've searched through the past posts, but was unable to come up with any really definitive answers on this.

I'm looking for an exhaust to replace the rusted out one on a '78 GS1000. There is currently one on e-bay (for an '82 GS1100), but I don't know if it will fit. Would anyone happen to know? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2444544482

In some threads, people have said 750 exhausts will fit, others have said they won't. I guess it depends upon the year.

The outside diameter of the header pipes on the '78 GS1000 are 41mm, and the spacing between ports is approx. 95mm. I'd be very thankful for any info on what other exhausts might fit this bike (without having to do anything more than possibly modifying the rear bracket).
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Wouldn't know if a GS1100 exhaust will fit.

I do know that GS750/850 exhausts will. I fit a GS1000 stock exhaust on my GS850; only had to do some minor modifications.

Brion (bgk) posted a similar question a while ago about L types:

Laser/Jama sells replica GS750/850 4-into-2 exhausts:
    http://www.laser-jama.nl/MotorPDF/952009.pdf .
    You still would have to modify the rear mounting bracket.

There is a US distributor too: http://www.spieglerusa.com/

Comment

That exaust system is not for a "82" 1100 "E". It looks like probably an GS 1100 G. The GS 1100 "E" exaust would not work on the "78" GS 1000. Not sure, if the "G" system will work, but it sure looks like the "78" 1000 exaust.

Comment

The rear mounting brackets are pointing upwards, so it sure looks like the exhaust on Ebay is from a 16 valver.

Comment

Having been through the trial and error portion here, I'll give my two cents.

The two measurements that matter the most are the outer diameter of the exhaust outlet pipes, and the vertical distance between the bends of the pipe - the flat point at where they exit the engine, and subsequent flat point where they bend underneath the engine (or combine into the collector). Pipe spacing for the header isn't as important, since it's easy enough to spread or close the pipes by hand.

41mm is the standard port size for all 16v 750's (1980 and up, TSCC and non-TSCC motors). This is all I can tell you definitively. There hasn't been enough pipe swapping here to be able to tell exactly which pipes will match which bikes, but do heed anything you can find regarding pipes that will not fit any specific models - I bought a pipe half-way around the globe and it ended up not working.

If the header port size is the same, everything else can be modified to work. You may have to have the header re-bent, and may have to cut and re-weld the mounting tabs for the mufflers. It all depends on how hard it is to find a new aftermarket pipe for your bike, how much you have to spend, and how handy you are in the garage.

I wouldn't worry too much about buying the wrong pipe (unless you're spending a lot in shipping), since you should be able to get every penny back if you have to resell it.

If you buy the pipe, and it fits - let us know!!!

I still think we need to start a parts compatability chart as a permanent page on this site....

Good luck,

Q!

Comment

Working...
          X