Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter cover

81 GS 550LX

i'm trying to remove my starter to get it rebuilt and am having a helluva time getting the cover off. I have removed the one bolt that i could find and the dang thing moves around when i pry it up, but that's it, it won't come off; at all! it seems to be stuck at the rear of the cover. can anyone tell me what i need to do to get this thing off? what is holding it there?

tia,

tb
    austin, tx

The other bolt.

Comment

Most of the covers have a bolt on each end...I think you only have one on your's.. Try sliding the cover towards you before prying it up...

Hap

Comment

Clean off the grease and grime.

Clean off the grease and grime so you can see all the nuts and bolts. One at the front, and another in the back. If you cant see it you can probably feel for it.

Comment

i'm almost positive that there isn't a bolt in the back there.

Comment

He's correct, there is only one bolt:

There appears to be a tab on the far end that slides into something...remove the bolt then slide the cover towards you...hopefully it will come off.

Hap

Comment

well, i finally ended up getting the starter cover off. and it did have a small 7mm bolt in the back, holding it down. i had to remove a sensor (oil pressure i think) in order to get at it with an open-ended wrench.

thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by austinringding
                well, i finally ended up getting the starter cover off. and it did have a small 7mm bolt in the back, holding it down. i had to remove a sensor (oil pressure i think) in order to get at it with an open-ended wrench.

thanks for the help.
                That bolt dosen't show up on the schematic....weird.

Once you get the bike running, are you going to join us on one of our Texas Hill Country rides?

Hap

Comment

Your oil sensor may be wrong.

Your oil sensor may be pointing the wrong way. It should be pointing toward the clutch side, not over the starter cover. I don't know if you should mess with it though. Might open up some more problems just fooling with it. You could always replace the oil cooler hoses if you do fool with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X