Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malfunction of Turn Signals

Awesome site!!!

I have just recently inherited a 1980 GS750E with 9K mi :-)

I don't believe this bike has an automatic turn signal cancel, only manual.

I took if for my first ride and the right turn signal quit working. When the right turn signal is activated all that results is a buzzing from the signal relay. At first I thought it must be broken and ordered a new one. When I removed and disassembled it however, I realized the relay is probably not broken since both signals use same one and the left still works after a short buzz from the relay.

I went through all the old electrical Q and A, and found a couple of similar problems. One recomended solution was to just modify the blinker so you bypass everything and just flash manually with the thumb switch.

So I went out in the driveway, cut out the relay and twisted the wires together. I was afraid that would be stupid because there was a resistor in the relay, and I was right I blew a fuse. and the wires are so fragile one twist and they break, so repair will be touchy.

My question is: What is the proper way to make your turn signal manual?? And what is the best method for reattaching old wires??

Don't give up

WOW, Nate!! Don't give up on fixing the turn signals properly. After all, when you're whizzing down the road, encirled by cars, you've got better things to think about than flippin' your left thumb back and forth. Get to the bottom of the problem and I'll bet you'll be glad you did; also, it may turn out to not be such a big deal. Good luck!!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Nate:

Having to flip the turn signal button back and forth to flash the signals would be a pain in the butt. The good news is
      the turn signal wiring on a GS750 is extremely simple. That your
      wires are so brittle they break when twisted is proof they MUST be replaced. If you dont have a book on your bike, you can order
      Clymer book #M370. It covers GS750 fours 1977-1982. There are wiring diagrams for all models. To replace wiring, the simplest way is probably to replace one wire at a time. Just unwrap the casings and follow each wire. Solder all connections. If you change from the original wiring colors, be sure to make notes in your book of what the color on each section was changed to. The biggest requirement is patience, so get a stool, sit down, clip a shop light somewhere so you can see well, grab a beer and plan on spending a couple nights taking your time and doing it right.
      the turn signals can be taken apart also and new wires run through the stalks to the bulb sockets. If you need to replace a center wire on a bulb socket (the + wire), you can run a wire up through the bottom insulating washer inthe socket, strip about 1/4" off the end, place a very small washer on it (clip a clothes
      pin underneath to hold the wire) bend the stripped portion flat on the washer and solder it. this will give you the beaded base you need for the bulb center contact. If the wiring is that brittle in the turn signal system, I would check the rest of the wiring on the bike very carefully. Old wire, bad grounds and excessive resistances will play havoc with your electrical system.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl and Chcukycheese

Thanks for the encouragement. How do I know what size wires to buy? Do most hardware stores carry different colors of wires?

Comment

Nate

Earl has a VERY valid point. Given your description of existing wiring, you should look seriously at replacing everything to avoid what are almost certain problems with the wiring.

OEM wires are minimal gauge/thickness and using thicker wires with better connections would improve everything. Stringing a lot of individual wires will work, but you'll have to do one at a time to avoid mistakes, so work is the operable word.

Also clean up the fusebox and other connectors.

You might try looking at a breaker/boneyard for a decent harness, or try on E-bay. You may get lucky and find a really good one. I got a brand new one for $60 US for my 1100G.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X