Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I line a set of studded tires?

Hi all,
    I've been scratching my head over this for quite some time. I've put a bunch of screws into my old winter tires in hopes to get a few more months out of them but I'm not sure how to protect the tube.

Cutting up a blue foam matt has come to mind and I've also read that old bicycle tires would also work but I have neither. Now don't flame me for this one, but would an old pair of jeans work? I have tried to use an old inner tube to line the tire but I can't figure out a way to keep it in place. I've tried RTV and rubber cement with no luck.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

I remember reading an article on the 24hr numb bumb run in northern Alberta. It was in Rider magazine - I think.

they used an old inner tube and yep, you guessed it...duct tape.they'd wrap the inner tube with the old one and then wrap the two of them in duct tape.

hope this helps...Sam

Comment

Steve,
      OK, I'm probably being thick, but why would you put screws into your tyres? Is it to get grip on ice? Don't they slide on tarmac? Or am I getting the wrong idea?

Comment

Paul:
        Studded tires will normally slide on asphalt so I put the screws in between the knobs of my old dual sport tires. If I had put them through the knobs riding would be too dangerous as there wouldn't be any rubber on the road.

I was having problems with going up hill when it was snowing hard last year. My tires were able to dig through the snow down to the road but if there was any hard packed snow beneath the powder I couldn't keep up with traffic. The studs aren't really needed when the roads are icy as it's too dangerous for me to be out with people are crashing into each other.

Anyway, I've got the electrical tape out and I'm wrapping my rear tube. I just wish I had a second extra tube...I cut one in half.

Steve

Comment

Steve, you might also check with the Ontario Ministry of Transport, or even the local police. Studs are OK only in Northern Ontario. They are prohibited in southern Ontario, and I am not sure how Ottawa fits into their scheme.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Ron: I'm surprised to hear that studs are allowed back home in Northwestern Ontario. Ottawa is on the border with Quebec where the tire studs are permitted so I suspect the police just put up with them. I don't expect any trouble as long as I don't bother the wannabe campus police. I've managed to get off of something like 150$ in parking tickets by complaining that they piled 15 feet of snow on my parking spot so they know what I'm up to. 8)

Have fun, Steve

Comment

Not sure where the site was but they used an old tire with the bead cut off for a liner--------
              here check the History section

Comment

Just several layers of duct tape on the inside of the tire will do. Thats what people do on mountain bikes all the time. MB tires are run at much lower pressures than your DS tires and shift around on the tube alot and the duct tape still keeps them safe...

Comment

Lining tires

Hey Steve.
                  Contact Woody at Woody's Cycles.
                  He ice races and is around the corner in Perth.
                  (613) 267-6861
                  Tell him Ian said to call

Comment

Dwarf:

Where do they race? I actually bought my GS1100 out from under him at Cameron's HD. Apparantely Woody had gone to look at it several times but was dragging his heals.

Steve

Comment

I don't know...
                      I've seen pictures of him racing on the ice and he was a serious track racer a few yers ago.
                      Anyway, he'll know all the tricks for setting up the tires.

Comment

I had my first run with the screws in the tires and man is it a loud and rough ride! The screws in my front tires stick out past the knobs on the tire and it makes turning difficult (literally hard to turn the bars since it makes you want to keep below 40km/h). It'll be fun while it lasts...I'm gonna get pulled over for sure when I ride past campus police. It sounds like I'm riding a pair of 18 inch table saw blades down the road! :P

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X