Bike is Hurtin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike is Hurtin'

I have a '78 GS750E, which I love to ride. The bike hadn't run in over a decade when I got her. I have nursed her back to health and for almost a year it ran like a top. I have spent more time this summer fixing it then riding. It now has a new ignition system in it. A stator is soon to be installed. I am fighting the carbs and fuel at the moment. I am not getting gas when the bike is running on the "On" position. I am tearing the pitcock apart this weekend. Any advice? Secondly I noticed that when the bike is running and I have the breather from the motor disconnected from the air box, its blowing a white, very wet, very gas-y - air. Is this normal? Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    Josh

-This site is great - very informative

sounds like the bike is running rich...why not rebuild or get a new Petcock....I really like the Pingel that bought

Comment

gas

Sounds like the diaphram in the petcock is letting gas run directly into the #2 cylinder . This will wash the cylinder wall and ruin the rings if left unattended, not to mention the gas slowly seeping into the crank-case. Sounds kinda like a B grade movie doesn't it ?

Comment

I had a similar problem, and it was a tiny, tiny, hole in the diaphragm in the stock petcock. It was loading up number two so bad that the other plug on the same coil would not fire either, so it fouled.......

I bought a Pingel and love it. The only thing is, the pingel uses an adapter and a pipe thread to screw the valve to the adaptor. This causes some seepage, not much, but a little.

My bike smoked out of the breather like mad after I fixed it. It was that the oil was washed down with gas. I changed the oil and it went away......

Comment

Pingel Pitcock

Where did you get a pingel pitcock from? Thanks for the info guys. I figured that was the problem. I will find out this weekend.

Thanks again,
          Josh

Comment

I bought mine directly from Pingel.

Try www.pingelonline.com

Comment

Working...
            X