Hard versus soft - Pros & cons please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard versus soft - Pros & cons please

I am looking into luggage for a GS850G. It will be for touring and for daily stuff.
    What is the general consensus? Are hard or soft bags the way to go?

Soft bags are generally cheaper and easier to adapt to a range of bikes but are not as secure. I had a set of Chase Harper bags for my 1100 and they were great. Hard bags are more secure (if you get ones with locks of course) and are more expensive to repair or replace. The Chase Harper bags I had, held a ton of stuff and could be put on and taken off in a snap.
    Plus they only cost about $160.00

Comment

Soft bags aren't waterproof so they can end up being soaked in the morning if it rains during the night. They also tend to take up the place were a passenger would sit. Hard bags can be set out of the way a without the risk of them falling off.

Steve

Comment

I agree with Jeff, the hard bags are definitely more secure, and definitely bulkier. My dad's 850 had a trunk bag and a pair of hard saddle bags. The saddle bags came off easily with the turn of a key and the press of a button.

When I bought my 850, I went a cheap route. I went to K-Mart and bought two medium sized, black soft-sided tackle bags. I cut the handle strap off of the opposite sides of each bag, then the cut the remaining handles in two. I took the material from the straps I cut off, plus the material from one of the removable shoulder straps, and sewed them to each of the two halves of the remaining handles to form a new, wide one piece strap on the interior sides(against the bike) of each bag. Next I bought inch and a half wide velcro and sewed the hook side to the solid, bottom part of one of the wide straps, and the loop side to the solid, top part of the other wide strap. These would then be stuck together and draped over my seat. I took the remaining shoulder strap and ran it under the seat. it has a pair of two inch quick attach buckles that snap into matching recepticles on the front of each bag.

I wish I had pictures of them. The total cost was around 35 bucks, plus my time. I didn't mind though. The material is 1000 denier nylon, so they are pretty tuff. The now have many miles of riding on them, and are holding up quite well. They hold alot of stuff too.

Comment

Is there any way you could get a picture of the bags you sewed up? It sounds like an interesting and worthwhile project for a winter day or two.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

I'll try to get some pictures and post them.

Comment

By the way I also have Leatherlyke hard bags on my Vulcan Classic and I love'em. You just have to figure out your priorities before laying out the cash. Not all hard bags are waterproof either, so don't just assume. Srivett is right about passenger room with soft bags... Oh well you can just go that much faster!!

Comment

It occurs to me that one could easily build an offset frame (similar to the type hardbags attach to) and fabricate them so that soft bags would sit away from the passenger area. I'm surprised nobody offers such a solution -- maybe someone does...

If not, perhaps I'll start working on it when my welding skills improve. I would think that it's not rocket science to create a frame that would attach to an existing rack or trunk assembly. Once I have something decent looking I'll let you know, but don't hold your breath -- just bought the welder and definitely need some time to master the craft! Then I'll have to enlist Brandon to do some custom softbags to fit -- we'll be ruling our custom softbag empire in no time flat!!! :twisted:

Steve 8)

Comment

I have a different approach than most to this question. Most riders start out with hard bags and then may or may not have a hard top box. On my 850 I have always had a hard box, but I use soft luggage for the bags. The soft bags I bought for $50 down at Daytona many years ago from a company then known as Motoport. They are expandible; they hold more stuff and are more watertight than the hardbags on my GK1100, and they don't interfere with the passenger. I have taken many two-up trips with them.

I only use the soft bags when I am going on a trip. For 90% of my commuting and shopping needs, the box is all I need. It is plenty big enough to hold briefcases, notebooks, gallons of milk, loaves of bread, tools, parts, beer, colas, snacks, Chinese take-out, or even pizza (not extra-large). The other beauty of it is that I have a place to stash my helmet and jacket when I get where I'm going.

I don't want bags sticking out when I am cutting through traffic or on those rare occasions when I get to the mountains to experience lean angles. I find it easier to use the top box than saddlebags. You don't have to crouch down. And sometimes if you are parked in a tight space, the room you have on the side of the bike to load and unload is limited.

Just my 2c. I must admit that not everyone will like the setup visually. You will have to decide if you want to choose function over form.
                  Here is a picture of my setup.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                    I have a different approach than most to this question. Most riders start out with hard bags and then may or may not have a hard top box. On my 850 I have always had a hard box, but I use soft luggage for the bags. The soft bags I bought for $50 down at Daytona many years ago from a company then known as Motoport. They are expandible; they hold more stuff and are more watertight than the hardbags on my GK1100, and they don't interfere with the passenger. I have taken many two-up trips with them.

I only use the soft bags when I am going on a trip. For 90% of my commuting and shopping needs, the box is all I need. It is plenty big enough to hold briefcases, notebooks, gallons of milk, loaves of bread, tools, parts, beer, colas, snacks, Chinese take-out, or even pizza (not extra-large). The other beauty of it is that I have a place to stash my helmet and jacket when I get where I'm going.

I don't want bags sticking out when I am cutting through traffic or on those rare occasions when I get to the mountains to experience lean angles. I find it easier to use the top box than saddlebags. You don't have to crouch down. And sometimes if you are parked in a tight space, the room you have on the side of the bike to load and unload is limited.

Just my 2c. I must admit that not everyone will like the setup visually. You will have to decide if you want to choose function over form.
                    Here is a picture of my setup.

http://www.mindspring.com/~dpep/gs850.jpg
                    Hey D,

Nice bike! I like the way it looks -- of course, I've been riding around for over ten years with a cooler mounted to the back of my GS550L so what do I know anyway?? 8O

That's the way I would choose to ride 90% of the time as well. I like the idea of hardbags but if I could get the same effect with softies than I'd be more than happy.

One thing though ... you've got to be leaning over pretty far to have either hard or soft bags become an issue (aside from the added weight) in the corners. Also, as far as clearance in a parking lot, how different can it be than with the fairing? I would think that the width would be almost the same...

Regards,
                    Steve 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy

One thing though ... you've got to be leaning over pretty far to have either hard or soft bags become an issue (aside from the added weight) in the corners. Also, as far as clearance in a parking lot, how different can it be than with the fairing? I would think that the width would be almost the same...

Regards,
                      Steve 8)
                      You may have a point on the lean angle. I had never actually ridden a bike with hard bags until I bought my Gk three months ago and almost all of it's time has been on the interstate. I may be guilty of assumption based on apperance and things I have read. Whether the bags actually touch down before the pegs is something I don't know for sure and probably varies from bike to bike. Psychologically I FEEL like I've got less lean available on the GK.

The fairing is as wide across as the bags or even wider. But the fairing is less restrictive in traffic because it sits higher; most cars are usually widest at their wheelbase. Also, the fairing is right in front of you; it is easier to guage clearance. Bags increase your odds of scraping something on the inside of a slow tight turn (ask me how I know). With bags you need a wider parking spot because you need room to stand comfortably on the sides of the bike to get into the bags.

None of these inconveniences is a major deal. People adapt to their bikes's setup pretty quickly. My main point was to stress the value of a top box, something you are already well aware of. The cooler is a great idea, very practical. You are my kind of biker--obviously not a slave to image.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Whether the bags actually touch down before the pegs is something I don't know for sure and probably varies from bike to bike. Psychologically I FEEL like I've got less lean available on the GK.

Believe me, if the GK's bags ever touch the ground, you're in deep sh....

I agree with your assessment about the top box, or trunk, or scoot boot -- several ways to refer to it. I use mine all the time as well, and use the hard GK bags only on long trips. It's also where I store my rainsuit. Everything else goes in the trunk.

As you may know, my GK trunk fell victim to the Bambicide of two years ago, and was destroyed. I replaced it with a no-brand generic unit I got on eBay for about $70. You can see it in the Gallery at http://www.thegsresources.com/_scrip....php?RegID=126

As for the width of bags, that's something I don't even think about. If I had a Kawasaki Concours, I probably would worry about this at first, given how wide those stock bags are.

Occasionally there are GK bags for sale on eBay. I imagine these could easily be adapted to fit the GS850.

Nick

Comment

Oh, I dont know Nick. The ends of my turn signals are all scuffed up from the lean angles. :-)

Earl

[quote="Nick Diaz"]

Believe me, if the GK's bags ever touch the ground, you're in deep sh....
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Here is a link to some soft luggage ideas. I think the Funduro in question already had side racks but the ledges are home made.

Comment

Working...
                            X