Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS550E

Hi all,

Well my '78 GS550E has been delivered and armed with the appropriate Haynes workshop manual I'm starting to plot my strategy.

The overall plan is strip it down, refurbish/repair where necessary then rebuild it in one of three styles - chopper, cafe racer or streetfighter.

So now I have three questions...
    (if the site moderators think this post should be split into three let me know and I'll do some editing)

1. The stripdown
    Although the workshop manual tells me how everything comes apart (I'll worry about the 'goes back together' bit later ) it doesn't give any recommendations about which order is best.
    My thoughts are...
    Battery and Petrol tank.
    Electrics.
    Wheels.
    Forks.
    Engine/gearbox.

What order would YOU do it in

2. The style.
    a. Lowrider/chopper - standard forks, dropped seat, different tank.
    b. Cafe Racer - Not the same as this but similar. (BTW nice work 8) )
    c. Streetfighter - Small twin headlights, more modern aggressive look.

I think each has it's pros and cons so let me know which you'd go for and why. Whatever happens it's not going to remain standard!
    Before, during and after photo's will be posted in the fullness of time (polite way of me saying I have no idea how long this will take )

3. Front Brake Reservoir
    Which ever style I go for I do NOT want the front brake reservoir sat up on the handlebars.
    I don't see why this can't be relocated to a different, less visible, location just like the rear brake reservoir.

Unless of course you know different....

thanks in advance for your replies
    (unless of course they're really, really dumb ones in which case they'll probably be funny so that's okay anyway!)

Kevin

I don't see why the m/c couldn't be relocated to a concealed place - it works for the rear brakes, so why not the front??

Cafe. Definitely old skool cafe - there have been quite a few one-piece fiberglass body kits on Ebay lateley....

Keep us posted,

-Q!

Comment

3. Front Brake Reservoir
      Which ever style I go for I do NOT want the front brake reservoir sat up on the handlebars.
      I don't see why this can't be relocated to a different, less visible, location just like the rear brake reservoir.

The reservoir can be changed to a remote style like many current sport bikes have, where the reservoir is separate from the M/C body and connected by a hose. The only caveat is that the reservoir HAS to be ABOVE the M/C piston or the M/C will suck air in sooner or later and the brakes will stop functioning properly. So I guess you are stuck with it on top of the bars somewhere...

Mark

Comment

Cafe racer look would be my go
        If it was a larger bore I would opt for the StreetFighter look.

Comment

Re: '78 GS550E

Originally posted by aka_hazard

1. The stripdown
          Although the workshop manual tells me how everything comes apart (I'll worry about the 'goes back together' bit later ) it doesn't give any recommendations about which order is best.
          My thoughts are...
          Battery and Petrol tank.
          Electrics.
          Wheels.
          Forks.
          Engine/gearbox.

What order would YOU do it in
          That is a good order to take things apart. I suggest that you place the small parts in a Ziploc bag with the name of the part on the bag along with the page numbers from the shop manual that refer to the part...this is really helpful with nuts and bolts (example: "Bolts for alternator cover, page 89" or "Hardware for chain guard, page 34" or "Engine mounting bolts, Chapter 7, page 93"). Use a permanent marker. It takes a little time to do but saves hours on the reconstruction.

2. The style.
          a. Lowrider/chopper - standard forks, dropped seat, different tank.
          b. Cafe Racer - Not the same as this but similar. (BTW nice work 8) )
          c. Streetfighter - Small twin headlights, more modern aggressive look.

I think each has it's pros and cons so let me know which you'd go for and why. Whatever happens it's not going to remain standard!
          Before, during and after photo's will be posted in the fullness of time (polite way of me saying I have no idea how long this will take )
          I prefer either the Cafe Racer or the Street fighter - personal opinion.

3. Front Brake Reservoir
          If you can find a late model front suspension with the newer discs and calipers from a crashed GSXR, you might want to put it on...the down side is that you would probably want to upgrade the rear also at the same time and now you may be talking lots o' pounds.

Hap

Comment

If it was me I'd go for the Caf? Racer style (oh wait I already did :mrgreen: that orange thing was mine). the proces of weight elimination improves handling, acceleration and braking.

The chopper/custom thing could turn out alright but it's hard to get a good "line" in the bike and I personally don't find that chopper and 4-cylinder go well together.

Streetfighter is another cool option and the upgrades form the CR option are there but to an even greater extent on the braking and handling but costly and you would have to do something about that 550 engine if you don't want to be laughed at by the pub, Gixxer 750 engine perhaps?

Have fun building and remember that more pics are better then not enough :mrgreen:

Comment

There is a small thing you can do with engine work that can save you a lot of annoyance. The cover bolts, as well as engine bolts, are of varying lengths. This means you will either have a fantastic memory and be able to stuff the exact bolt where it belongs a month or more after it came out, or you will have frustration trying different ones.

The easiest way I found to deal with them is to get a few pieces of cardboard, punch holes in them, either in the shape of the component you are disassembling, or by removing them sequentially, with a marked start/finish point. Put the bolts in the respective holes by shape, or in sequence.

If you are expecting a lengthy time period of work, cover the bolt heads with a strip of duct tape, and mark it appropriately. The bolts will not get lost or confused with others, and the re-install is easy.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

i'll call my 550 the cafe standard drag.

i lub it

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for some excellent posts especially the rebuilding tips - I shall definitely be making use of them.

I also think that the Cafe Racer is the way to go especially after seeing pictures of Ducati's Cafe Concept - shame it hasn't got enough cylinders!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                  X