Factory toolkit, contents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory toolkit, contents?

What comes with the toolkit? Bike Bandit shows them for 40USD. I'd hate to order one and find a CAA card in it. Is it just an axle/sparkplug/oil drain wrench?

Cheers, Steve

You would do better to make up your own tool kit for 1/2 the cost

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      You would do better to make up your own tool kit for 1/2 the cost
      That's what I did. No one knows better what tools you need to work on your bike and you can alway find those slightly cheeper made light weight versions at flea markets if you want to keep weight down. In my case I opted for that so I could add even more tools. I have relied on them (for friends bikes) twice now when on rides. Good to have tools with you

Comment

I have made one on my own but it's a pain trying to find a place to put a 15/16" wrench. They are kinda big...

Steve

Comment

also some GS came with a highly speacalized combanation that you cant get any place else that I am aware of.
          like the speacial lever, handle, and cable, that alow you to compress the fork to make getting the rear wheel out easyer.
          those alone make it tons simpler to repair a flat tire on the side of the road.
          you might check out what you can come up with at a wrecking yard.

Comment

Steve, try cutting one down to standard tool kit size, about 5 or 6 inches. Then cut a piece of tubing that is just slightly smaller in dia. than the cut end of the wrench. Then take and flatten the tubing (either with a hammer or in a vice) so that it will just fit over the end of the wrench. This will allow you to have a large wrench in a compact kit without losing hardly any leverage at all.
            Doze.

Comment

When I bought the 79 GS550 last year, it came with the original factory toolkit (!).

It contains:

* Two screwdrivers, one Philips and one normal + handle;
              * A spark plug wrench;
              * Two wrenches, 19 and 24 mm, with a piece of flattened tube to get more leverage;
              * A combined 17 and 14 mm wrench;
              * A steel rod, for use with the spark plug wrench and to adjust the (original) rear shocks;
              * A 10 mm wrench (wouldn't know what to use it for; it may be not original)
              * Pliers

All the tools are "made in Japan"; in those days not the best quality for tools... :?

Comment

Cycle Recycle has the kits for 13USD which is alright I guess but the tools look cheap. The TSCC GS bikes also use an 18mm plug wrench which costs 5USD.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

After reading this thread I was wondering what else others carry in their tool kits. I just got mine and of course the factory kit is long gone. I usually carry a good sampling of metric wrenches (craftsman) and a couple of screwdrivers a visegrip and a pair of pliers. Also a crushed aluminum can for those times you need to park on a soft surface.

Comment

tools

I carry a BIC lighter for the next time this thing breaks down, pull fuel hose light gas on fire, Oh crap that wont work the gas wont flow with the engine off, I new suzuki had a reason to put on a vacum crapcock

Comment

Working...
                    X