Carburetor Boot Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetor Boot Broken

Well, it's been a month since I bought my first GS. I have the carburetors all cleaned up after being in storage for 7 years and I'll be installing a points system this weekend. Thanks for all the help!

New Question:
    The rubber on the engine carburetor boot has separated from the metal plate that it was originally bonded to. Is there any way to fix this or do I need a new boot??

Re: Carburetor Boot Broken

I had the same problem. I'm just getting my 82 GS650GL up and running. I took some liquid electrical tape (brush on) and put 3-4 coats around where the boot meets the metal. Let it cure for a day or so and it seemed to work like a charm. $3 as opposed to $25 a boot.

Comment

Liquid elect tape will not do the job on the engine side I don't think it will take the heat and will ultamantly fail.

Comment

Youre certainly right Lynn, there are some hi temp epoxies that would satisfactorily bond and stand up to the job, but they cost more than a new boot would cost. I would take the easy and secure way out and just order a new boot.

Earl

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        Liquid elect tape will not do the job on the engine side I don't think it will take the heat and will ultamantly fail.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I had the same problem and tried several differant things with no luck.
          I managed to locate a set of practicly new boots on a bike in the bone yard, and got them for $20 for all four.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll opt for getting them from a boneyard.

Thanks Again.

Comment

Just today i priced boots for my gs1100e and they were $11+ at the dealer.
              my
              boots were a mess at best and i got 3 used good ones for $5 each-i ordered one new one because the bone yard didnt have 4

Comment

Working...
              X