Just a couple of Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a couple of Q's

I recently bought a GSX 550 ES 1983 which I'm going to store until the spring. I've ordered a Manual, but it will take two weeks to get here, and i want to store it now before the cold comes.
    I was wondering how to drain the carbs. Is it easy or should someone who knows their stuff do it.
    My other question was the steering lock. The dealer didn't know if there was one, it's kinda faded so i can't really tell. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

The steering lock is activated By pushing the key down and turning the key to the left. ( the steering has to be turned all the way to the stops)
    If you turn the key to the right to lock, it will lock and also turn the tail light ON for a parking light.. Never have to store mine :P but I would fill the gas tank and mix in some gas stabilizer additive, don't wory about draining the carbs. Just run the bike long enough to get the stabil into the carbs. Keeping the tank full keeps it from rusting.
    If you want to drain the carbs instead-- there should be a small bolt on the bottom of the float bowl-- That is the drain.

Comment

Thanks
      Lock works. I didn't know you had to turn the wheel. Duh
      But the drain seems to be leaking gas. not a whole lot but still. is this something i can live with, or is it in need of work?

Comment

ANY gas leak means repair is essential.

The risk of fire is great, even when the bike is parked, and very much more so if the bike is parked inside, where the fumes can accumulate.

The fumes are explosive.

Drain everything completely, or get it fixed RIGHT AWAY.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Hi:

There?s an small o-ring in the small drain bolt; perhaps this o-ring is worn.
          In that case you must replace it.
          Also try chek the float bowl gasket.

Good luck!!!!

Eliseo.

Comment

Working...
          X