Stator rewind: a couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator rewind: a couple of questions

I plan to rewind my GS1000L stator during the week+ I get off from work at Christmas time. I have obtained the requisite 2# of 17AWG, high-temp, oil resistant magnet wire (the electric motor repair place I ordered it from was VERY helpful - they said this stuff was made specifically for winding armatures and such). HOWEVER, I have a couple of questions before I embark on this little adventure:

1) Is there an epoxy or varnish coating I can use to coat the windings that I can pick up nearly anywhere? I like to get stuff locally whenever possible, so I'd like to find something that's available from Advance Auto, Wal-Mart, Carquest, NAPA, Ace hardware, Home Depot...

For that matter, would JB Weld work (might be a bit expensive, though...don't know how much I'd need)?

2) Can I safely and effectively use orange RTV (the high-temp automotive stuff) to re-seal my alternator cover once I've got the rewound stator installed? Or do I have to buy either the expensive anaerobe gasket stuff or a replacement factory gasket? I always keep the orange RTV around the house, so I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks!

Use the black RTV sealant so it looks neater. Hap Call can tell you what would be best for coating the coils.

Comment

I would ask the motor repair shop if they could coat it for you once you got it wound. They sound like they would be receptive to it...there are special epoxies for this kind of coating. The best way to have the coating applied is vacuum impregnation (also called VIP), followed by dipping, and last by drip coating...dipping is what the shop will probably do for you...it's a good method.

Hap

Comment

I would sujest using Yamabond, or Permatex grey, or similar brand of grey RTV.
        It is listed as for high heat, oil resistant Import engine use, Yamaha was the first to come up with it, it is very good stuff and last a long time.

Comment

I never coated my rewind, and it has lasted the last 20 years. The advantage is the coils will cool better, the disadvantage may be that the wires will rub and fail earlier.

Comment

Working...
          X