Charging system test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging system test?

I just got my '82 GS1100E delivered from Oregon, and I want to test the charging system (just for the heck of it). I will follow the stator papers, but I do have related question.

What can I connect my multimeter leads to in order not to have to remove the airbox and such to get to the battery?

I did already test a little with the airbox out, and my readings were:

2500 RPM was above 13.5 actually climbed at a steady rate to mid 14's

5000 RPM hovered around 14.80 back and forth between 14.78 & 14.92

The "paper" say it should read below 14.80 so is 14.92 too high or is 14.80 approximate?

Thanks for any comments,
    Billy Miles

P.S. I know the stator papers say to rev it to 5000 RPM, so I know that it shouldn't hurt the bike. Does it make anyone else nervous about blowing up the engine, or is it just my own paranoia? :roll:

Re: Charging system test?

I get those same reading on my 1150. I have two batteries for my 1150, one old and one new. The new one charges at 14.82, the old battery charges at 14.90. The difference is likely nothing more than a difference in internal resistance in the batteries due to age. I do have to more frequently add water to the battery that gets the higher charge rate.
    Other than that, you should not have any problem.

Earl

Originally posted by 78gs550
    I just got my '82 GS1100E delivered from Oregon, and I want to test the charging system (just for the heck of it). I will follow the stator papers, but I do have related question.

What can I connect my multimeter leads to in order not to have to remove the airbox and such to get to the battery?

I did already test a little with the airbox out, and my readings were:

2500 RPM was above 13.5 actually climbed at a steady rate to mid 14's

5000 RPM hovered around 14.80 back and forth between 14.78 & 14.92

The "paper" say it should read below 14.80 so is 14.92 too high or is 14.80 approximate?

Thanks for any comments,
    Billy Miles

P.S. I know the stator papers say to rev it to 5000 RPM, so I know that it shouldn't hurt the bike. Does it make anyone else nervous about blowing up the engine, or is it just my own paranoia? :roll:
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks Earl,

That is a weight off my chest. My 550E needed everything (charging system), which is one of the reasons I decided to sell it.

Thanks

Comment

It would be best if the charge rate was no higher than 14.5 volts but 14.8 is not to bad, just keep a close eye on the electrolite level.

How does it run??

Comment

The charge range specified by Electrex (I just replaced my R/R and stator with Electrex) is a low of 13.5 to a standard charging rate of 14.8. 14.8 is normal.
          Electrex doesnt make any judgement as to whether 14.5 would be better or worse.

Earl

Originally posted by focus frenzy
          It would be best if the charge rate was no higher than 14.5 volts but 14.8 is not to bad, just keep a close eye on the electrolite level.

How does it run??
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: Charging system test?

Originally posted by 78gs550

If you take the left sidecover off you should have access to the starter solenoid which has a heavy guage lead to the battery's positive terminal. If your terminals are clean and have good connections you'd only need to find a good ground to measure the voltage.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X