76 GS550 out of storage (newguy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

76 GS550 out of storage (newguy)

I just removed a 1976 Gs550 from storage (20 years). I got the pistons pumping after just 1 day of marvel mystery oil and gentle rocking. I had spark and the electric starter was working, I needed gas!. I went to the store to buy new oil and some gasoline thinking I would be able to drive it today. I went to start it for the first time and no starter (not a sound) And No spark to the points or plugs! My battery had been installed loosely, I tightened it up and tried again... nothing.... Did I kill something? Is there a part or parts that couldnt handle the 20 years of non use! Help this new guy!!! And I looked over your site and am quite impressed. I wish they had one of these for my PUCHS!

BTW The lights and leds and turn signals were working... Brake lights too also the gear locator light... I don git it!

First check the switch on the right bar make sure it is on run. Also the clutch lever has a saftey switch that will not allow the starter to work without the clutch being pulled in. Is the battery NEW? They should be charged overnight before use.

Comment

Re: 76 GS550 out of storage (newguy)

The bike is a 1976..........LED's dont exist yet. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Valdez

BTW The lights and leds and turn signals were working... Brake lights too also the gear locator light... I don git it!
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

1976 550

"LED's dont exist yet".....
        Thanks for your input genius.
        Suffice it to say: "The red gear position light".

Comment

Re: 1976 550

Originally posted by Valdez
          "LED's dont exist yet".....
          Thanks for your input genius.
          Suffice it to say: "The red gear position light".
          2 posts and he already recognises your superior intellect Earl!

Clutch switch is a good idea.
          Is it in neutral?
          Does it turn over when you cross the starter selenoid terminals with a screwdriver?
          can you start it with the kickstarter?

btw there is no 1976 550, '78 maybe?

Comment

Re: 76 GS550 out of storage (newguy)

Originally posted by earlfor
            The bike is a 1976..........LED's dont exist yet. :-)
            Sorry Earl, but I have to disagree.... My first bike was a 76 GT380 and it had a LED gear indicator. It didn't work properly though..... :?

Speaking of the GT: Lynn gave a good tip. Did you check the engine kill switch?
            The first time I tried to start that GT, I had it set to "off"...

Comment

sparky

Thanks for the faulty switch tips I will work on these as soon as I get a chance. Earl and others have got me confused about the year of this bike. I am still waiting on the pink slip which the original owner is "looking for". He has told me it is a 76 and that is what he wrote on the bill of sale. The serial number on the motor is GS550118576. The last year of registration was 1985 and there are 36,000 miles on it.

No it will not start with the kick. No spark to points or plugs

4:30 PM, Here it is later in the day and sho-nuff it was the kill switch that was preventing sparks of all sorts, it will need to be replaced. Thanks to all of you, this is a great site. I have been trying to start the bike. It has spark to points and all four plugs... The point spark looks a bit erratic. The carbs probably need a good cleaning, ... I have the airbox off. But I think it's gonna run. Next weekend I will get a compression checker.

BTW The frame # is GS550E102032 The label on the frame says 1977.

Comment

Working...
              X