630 o-ring vs 630. Which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saaz
    The chain case is a Furlong (UK). It is made of fibreglass, so not as flash as some of the alloy and rubber factory jobs. I bought it back in 1982 or so. Looks a bit daggy I suppose, but it makes a big differencr if you ride in all weather or on dirt roads.
    I did a web search on it and could not find the company. I did find mention of it being used on a Honda CB750. I would love to get my hands on one...

Could you post some pictures?

Hap

Comment

I think it's just a deal between factory's and aftermarket company's to really stick it to the rider, Pay 50-100 dollars for an hour's worth of repair that should take 2 minutes to install a chain cause nobody wants to buy the special tool for a couple hundred bucks. Master links have been around sence the Monks invented beer. I have no problems with links or beer not unless it's hot links then I'll take two.

I Think
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I have run both and found the O-ring to last much longer with the same maintenance (cleaning/lubing).

I am currently running an O-ring chain with a riveted master link. I never had problems on any other bike I've had loosing a master link but I had several clips for the O-ring chain that seemed extremely fragile as the would break while trying to squeeze them on and I had one break after about 3000 miles, which cause me to through the chain when the master link came loose and do some damage to the sprocket cover and case.

That's why I switched to a riveted chain. I have another chain and sprockets for my next change and am going to go to 530 chain and may try the clip style master links again.

Another option to consider is an X-ring chain. The stock chain on my Honda reflex was an X-ring and it lasted from 1986 to last year and saw a couple of years of street and dirt use and then 11 years of use as a dirt bike and trials competition use. I just change the chain and sprockets a few months ago. In the whole time I've owned it I regeared it from a 13 to a 9 tooth counter shaft for trials use and replace the 9 tooth once before the chain and sprocket replacement. I've never seen anything wear as well as it did.

Mike

Comment

For those who don't use o-ring chains, what conditions do you ride in? Rain? Dirt? I'm just curious to see if the non-o-ring chains, properly lubed will last a decent amount of time in less then perfect conditions.

Comment

I ride in rain a lot. About four months of the year, that is everyday at some time. Maybe about 1% of my riding is off road or in dirt. I dont enjoy stop and go city traffic, so possibly 10% of my milage for that. The other 89% is highway and almost all of that is at speeds between 65-100 mph. On the average, I ride a steady speed around 75-80 mph most of the time. I give the chain a couple squirts of lube about every 200 miles, and clean it up at oil change time (about 1500 miles)

Earl

Originally posted by lhanscom
            For those who don't use o-ring chains, what conditions do you ride in? Rain? Dirt? I'm just curious to see if the non-o-ring chains, properly lubed will last a decent amount of time in less then perfect conditions.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I ride in all weather, on all road surfaces.

I will post some pics one day when I can get hold of a digital camera. The bike will have to have a glam makeover for the camera tho!!! The cahin case is a lot like one I had on my cd175 honda, except the honda one was metal. A top and bottom half, with an attachment plate adaptor to replace the rear wheel spacer.

Comment

I found this interesting site while researching chains. It throws some doubt into the o-ring versus non o-ring chain debate.

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                X