630 o-ring vs 630. Which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

630 o-ring vs 630. Which is better?

I'm about to buy a new chain and I'm considering going to a regular chain than the stock/OEM o-ring chain. Over time, it seems like the o-rings contribute to the links kinking. I always keep the chain well lubed and properly slacked. I think the o-ring chain is supposed to be quieter and possibly run cooler. Have any of you switched to a regular chain? Any noticable difference?
    One other thing, I've heard they are not making the 630 with a master clip any more. The clip is replaced with press fitted pins. You slide on the plate and using a tool, you spread the end of the hollowed out pins. I guess you can improvise with hand tools if you don't have the tool. I'm also guessing if you want to remove it, you just squeeze the pins back in and you can do this as much as you need to? Any of you installed these new master links yet?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Re: 630 o-ring vs 630. Which is better?

I've switched to standard #630 chain on my 1150 and standard #530 on my 750. I had the same problem as you with links getting stiff on the "O" ring type chains. I keep chains well lubed and run them a bit on the slack side and have not had any problems with the non "O" ring chains. I'm going to stay with the non "O" ring type. I'll be returning to the #630 chain size on the 750
    when I wear out the #530 thats on it now. Although heavier, the 630 runs smoother than the #530 does.

Earl

[quote="KEITH KRAUSE"]I'm about to buy a new chain and I'm considering going to a regular chain than the stock/OEM o-ring chain. Over time, it seems like the o-rings contribute to the links kinking. I always keep the chain well lubed and properly slacked. I think the o-ring chain is supposed to be quieter and possibly run cooler. Have any of you switched to a regular chain? Any noticable difference?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
      I'm about to buy a new chain and I'm considering going to a regular chain than the stock/OEM o-ring chain. Over time, it seems like the o-rings contribute to the links kinking. I always keep the chain well lubed and properly slacked. I think the o-ring chain is supposed to be quieter and possibly run cooler. Have any of you switched to a regular chain? Any noticable difference?
      One other thing, I've heard they are not making the 630 with a master clip any more. The clip is replaced with press fitted pins. You slide on the plate and using a tool, you spread the end of the hollowed out pins. I guess you can improvise with hand tools if you don't have the tool. I'm also guessing if you want to remove it, you just squeeze the pins back in and you can do this as much as you need to? Any of you installed these new master links yet?
      I haven't used a regular chain since I switched to o-ring chains 25 years ago...the difference in life between the two was so great I never went back to a non-o-ring chain.

I have a rivited masterlink on my bike now. I had the swingarm off, so I took the new chain to a local shop and had them rivit the master link. You can peen it yourself but I'm so inaccurate with a hammer I didn't want to mess up an link that was next to the masterlink.

Hap

Comment

My opinion is a riveted masterlink has some big faults. I always wear out a tire or two (or more) before I wear out a chain and sprockets. Its a pain in the ass to break a riveted master and re peen a new one. It makes it very difficult to make a tire repair when on the road. Its also difficult to peen a link if on the road. (at least decently)

I have never broken, or had a masterlink clip come loose in 30+ years.

Earl

Originally posted by Hap Call

I have a rivited masterlink on my bike now. I had the swingarm off, so I took the new chain to a local shop and had them rivit the master link. You can peen it yourself but I'm so inaccurate with a hammer I didn't want to mess up an link that was next to the masterlink.

Hap

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I always go for the endless chain option, its easy enough to get the rear wheel out without doing anything to the chain.
          I saw a friend lose his chain once because the master link came undone thats why I don't use it

Comment

I have O-rings on both GSes....(they keep the oil inside the case)...and I never worry about them.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'm for the non O ring also but maintenance is a must. My 1100 has a 630 O ring job and because i lube the dickens out of it i don't even remember the last time i had to adjust it. So ill never put down an O ring chain.
              The question is what do you want to do with your bike. Some of us walk around with secret formula's for Cain lubes in special oil cans. It is a hobby and fanaticism will always be there. Just enjoy riding from time to time. Then use an O ring chain and follow the recommender lubrication.
              Some of us run lots of HP over stock and never have chain trouble with a master link type. There is a right way and a wrong way to install one and also a right way and a wrong way to maintain any chain.

I just want even the slightest gain in HP That i can possibly get.

Comment

SHAFTIES RULE!!!!!!

Comment

As was earlier stated. Shafties rule the agricultural implement arena. :-)
                  Shafties are great.......for those not mechanically inclined. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                  SHAFTIES RULE!!!!!!

Comment

I have used a non-oring 630 for the last 20,000km. Does not need much adjusting for the (lack) of milege I do these days, but I have a full chain case on. The oring chains would have cost twice as much at the time. I have had (cheap) oring chains wear out before this.

I don't have to break the chain to change a tyre...thats a new one on me!

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
                      ...but I have a full chain case on.
                      Where did you get the chain case?

Hap

Comment

Thanks for the replies. According to the local parts store, the clip style master links are being discontinued. I guess too many people have trouble installing the clip correctly and they fly off. The new master link has hollowed out pins. You slide the plate on and flare the end of the pins with a tool. I suppose you may still be able to buy a regular clip style master link and use it if you would rather? There may still be some chains that were shipped with the clip style master links too. At least 2 local stores only have the "newer" chains now.
                        Just because some bozo's can't install a clip correctly, this change is happening. :x I still don't know if this new style of link can be removed for cleaning and re-used. Guess I'll be finding out.
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Keith: The tool for pinching the chain is pretty expensive. When I found out that my RK 530 had a riveted link I got the shop to put it together for me. You should have heard the pounding coming from the work shop! They gave the pins a beating you wouldn't believe. 8O I don't even know if you'd be able to push it apart at that link. You'd be better off removing another link but then you'd have a chain full of Rivetts and who wants that?

Cheers, Steve

Comment

The chain case is a Furlong (UK). It is made of fibreglass, so not as flash as some of the alloy and rubber factory jobs. I bought it back in 1982 or so. Looks a bit daggy I suppose, but it makes a big differencr if you ride in all weather or on dirt roads.

Comment

I've used both sorts of links, & I can honestly say that I've had no problems with either. When I fit the rivet masterlink type I get a freind to hold a lump-hammer behind the master link, then put a shallow point punch in the hollowed end of the pin and give it a sharp blow with a 2 pound hammer. If done correctly it only needs one blow to spread the rivet.
                              An "O"-ring chain will outlast a conventional chain if it is looked after correctly. Some penetrative chain lubes will destroy the rubber O-rings! The O-rings hold the chain grease inside the links, & keep dirt out.
                              A non O-ring type can (& probably will) get grit inside the link/joints and wear away from inside, but you can clean & then boil it in grease.
                              There again, O-ring chains cost more, so cost probably works out the same. It depends where you ride.
                              As Dom says, regular maintenance makes all the difference to a chain.

Comment

Working...
                              X