Dual points?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual points?

I am a bit confused about the electrics on my bike. It has dual points and condensers. Does this mean I dont have the dreaded RR? Is the Points ignition uncommon? Is it more or less reliable?

The regulator rectifier is part of the charging system and you have them, or it.
    GS built prior to 1980 used points for the ignition, they switched to a electronic ignition for 1980.
    early GS's used a separate regulator and separate rectifier.

Comment

Re: Dual points?

All four cylinder GS bikes that were manufactured with points ignition systems had dual pointsets and condensers. They are stone cold reliable.
      My 750 has points and condensers and they have proven to be more dependable than either a stock electronic ignition, a Dyna S or a Dyna 2000 system.
      Points do require perodic maintenance though while electronic ignitions either work or they dont. There is nothing inbetween with them and there is no warning when they die.

The dreaded RR? R/R refers to regulator/rectifier. All bikes have those because the stator produces AC current and the bike runs on DC current/battery. The rectifier changes AC output to DC charging input for the battery.

What bike do you have?

Earl

Originally posted by Valdez
      I am a bit confused about the electrics on my bike. It has dual points and condensers. Does this mean I dont have the dreaded RR? Is the Points ignition uncommon? Is it more or less reliable?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks guys, the bike I have is a 1977 GS550E, frame # GS550E102032 engine # GS550-118576. The previous owner tells me its a 76, but from all I can gather from this site and it's residents he is wrong. It's good to have points, I understand them cuz im old.

Comment

Re: points

The nice thing about points is that you can fix them on the road if need be and you can carry a spare set for trips (just in case) Theyre simple and you can see if they are working. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Valdez
          Thanks guys, the bike I have is a 1977 GS550E, frame # GS550E102032 engine # GS550-118576. The previous owner tells me its a 76, but from all I can gather from this site and it's residents he is wrong. It's good to have points, I understand them cuz im old.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
          X