Fork Oil/PSI 1980 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Oil/PSI 1980 GS1000

Can anyone give me the spec fork oil capacity and weight for this model? I also would like the standard range of PSI (single rider, 195ish lbs.?

Thank,

GM

Re: Fork Oil/PSI 1980 GS1000

Originally posted by gmn45
    Can anyone give me the spec fork oil capacity and weight for this model? I also would like the standard range of PSI (single rider, 195ish lbs.?

Thank,

GM
    My manual covers the 78 and 79 models but your forks should be the same...I think.

amount of oil per fork 240cc for all American models except S
    SAE 10W20 or "forkoil"
    level: 140mm from top of fork
    forkspring lenght 421mm
    minimum lenght 416mm
    air pressure standard 11psi
    max pressure 35psi

your welcome

Comment

Use the oil volume as a guide. The key is to get the fork oil level right as it affects the air spring rate.

Comment

I have a 1980 S model.
        I'm replacing the fork springs this winter, but in the past I rarely exceeded
        about 6-10 lbs of air in the forks.
        I run straight 15 weight oil in the forks.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Before you dis-assemble the forks measure your "sag" ; put the bike on the centrestand , or a jack and raise the front whel of the ground, measuers the distance between the fork seal caps and the bottom triple clamps. Now take the bike of the stand and sit on it and have someone else measure at the same place; subtract the second figure from the first and you have a figure called "sag" cut a piece of pipe of a suitable diamterr to this length and insert it into both legs of your forks; this way you will not need to use air in either fork leg and will never have to worry about balancing them again. After all air assisted forks were only ever a bandaid solution, and really only causes other problems.
          Dink

Comment

Working...
          X