Can a battery cable be too heavy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a battery cable be too heavy?

I'm going through some of the wiring on my GS450L, the 10gauge wiring from the battery to the starter solenoid is starting to look its age. I'm in a pretty small town so there's no large auto parts store nearby. THere is a small one though . I found a 4 gauge battery cable that will fit nicely; all I need is a larger boot to cover the terminal.

Will this cause problems?

PS: along the way I found the original owner had replaced the main fuse with one rated for 35amp! A little larger than the stock 15.

You should have no problems with the larger cable, it will just be heavier and a bit tougher to bend around, but it will have no effect on the starter, etc.

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by KennyJ
      You should have no problems with the larger cable, it will just be heavier and a bit tougher to bend around, but it will have no effect on the starter, etc.

Kenny

That about covers it.

The value of a thicker cable would be noticeable on VERY cold days, (0F or lower), when the amperage draw is higher, but you are not likely to be riding then. Even then, if your battery was kept fully charged, and warm, you would have little problem starting.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Installation is the only possible problem, otherwise it will be better than standard if the original was a bit past it

Comment

I use 4 guage stranded with soldered terminals for both battery cables and for as many ground wires as possible. as said before, the bending is the only pain. I use it from the solenoid to the starter also.

Comment

Re: Can a battery cable be too heavy?

Originally posted by sralph
            I'm going through some of the wiring on my GS450L, the 10gauge wiring from the battery to the starter solenoid is starting to look its age. I'm in a pretty small town so there's no large auto parts store nearby. THere is a small one though . I found a 4 gauge battery cable that will fit nicely; all I need is a larger boot to cover the terminal.

Will this cause problems?

PS: along the way I found the original owner had replaced the main fuse with one rated for 35amp! A little larger than the stock 15.
            Heavier gauge will not be a problem especially in a short wire like that. Smaller gauge would be a problem. Your going the right way.

Comment

No problem.

Use welding cable if you can...cheap, very flexible, a lot more resilient when it comes to transferring current than automotive-type battery cable. With gauges <4 I find that the wire they sell in amplifier installation kits that the "import dudez" buy is also on a par with welding cable as far as quality. I'm not a big fan of soldering in MC applications becuase of vibration, but others have done it with no problems. I like using the hammer-on or crimp-on connectors with that metallic goop grease.

Comment

Cable

10 ga is good for typically good for 30A. I work with stranded cable daily for a telecomm power company. Bigger is always better from a current draw (less resistance, like a bigger water pipe for volume) and helps with heat dissapation as well. That was the first recommendation my "old" Suzuki mechanic/dealer gave me when I got the bike.

Comment

Working...
                X