Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils

This is just a comment rather than a question. I just replaced my 20 year old coils (they were second hand Kawa ones back when I put them in..another story!) with 92 GSXR 750 ones. Before this I had idle problems, inconsistent results from tuning chnages. What a difference! Still have a needle adjustment problem, but now the bike starts before I hit the starter and idles like it has not done for a few years. The coils were going bad, but the electronic ignition was making up for it a bit, and it takes a bit to stop a GS from working..the plugs were fouling, etc etc etc.

Of course I have been fiddling with the tuning before changing the coils....now if I had changed the coils earlier like I was going to before retuning....

Live and learn....

Re: Coils

Originally posted by saaz
    This is just a comment rather than a question. I just replaced my 20 year old coils (they were second hand Kawa ones back when I put them in..another story!) with 92 GSXR 750 ones. Before this I had idle problems, inconsistent results from tuning chnages. What a difference! Still have a needle adjustment problem, but now the bike starts before I hit the starter and idles like it has not done for a few years. The coils were going bad, but the electronic ignition was making up for it a bit, and it takes a bit to stop a GS from working..the plugs were fouling, etc etc etc.

Of course I have been fiddling with the tuning before changing the coils....now if I had changed the coils earlier like I was going to before retuning....

Live and learn....
    What is your "needle adjustment problem"?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The needle problem is it is running a little rich on 1/3 to 2/3 throttle hard open. Not a problem in normal use! Just running a little rich down low as plugs a bit dark, so lowering needle should get it running fine.

I havent had to adjust the carbs in 19 years, so this is my penance!!

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
        The needle problem is it is running a little rich on 1/3 to 2/3 throttle hard open. Not a problem in normal use! Just running a little rich down low as plugs a bit dark, so lowering needle should get it running fine.

I havent had to adjust the carbs in 19 years, so this is my penance!!
        If you have'nt adjusted the carbs for 19 years and it was running fine until recently, then the only way the richness is related to the needles is if they've all worn out at the same time. Possible but not likely. If so, you would have to replace them.
        I would first try adjusting the side air screws for the highest rpm at normal operating temp' to help the fuel atomize correctly. Then check the float levels. After all those years, the fuel levels may be too high. Then check the ignition timing and be sure of good spark. Then a carb synch'.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I probably forget to mention in this thread that I replaced the carbs with some other Kawa 28mm carbs as the original Kawa 28mm carbs were a bit worn. I have not adjusted the carbs from standard apart from idle setting and putting in the right size mains. Last time I did this I had to raise the needles, but as fuel has changed since the 80s a lowering of the needles seems likely..high density unleaded and all.

The problem only occurs when going highly illegal to go to jail speeds, so I am not too worried! The main jet is ok....so I hear as off course I have not tried it on the road

Comment

OK. Good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
            X