Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by argonsagas
    Originally posted by dpep
    I have been toying with the idea of using an wench setup.

Don, I could not agree more.

Admittedly, I have had some difficulty in obtaining the requisite number of wenches who have the necessary perspective, but the rewards of success must surely be worthy of the effort.
    Talk about a Freudian slip!! Good eye, Ron.

Yeah actually I was thinking about one of the standard crank models.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I use a piece of C-channel and back my truck up to the curb. then either push it up or drive it on, the angle isn't so bad and the tires sit in the channel and don't come out the sides easily. 8)

Comment

I wish you wouldn't do that, Ron...I nearly fell out of my chair, laughing!

Comment

For riding in to my trailer, I use three ramps. One for the bike and a lighter ramp on each side for dabbing feet. Those foot ramps have saved mine a couple times

I also screw a piece of channel alongside the tires on each side. If you have a ribbed bed in the truck that may be just as good. If you don't want to screw into the truck bed, throw a piece of shuttering cut to size in the back and screw into that. I don't use any stand, and tie down with ratchet straps fore and aft on each side.

So far no problems on the road.

Pete

Comment

For riding in to my trailer, I use three ramps. One for the bike and a lighter ramp on each side for dabbing feet. Those foot ramps have saved mine a couple times
            The only problem I have with that technique is that my legs are too short to reach the ground when the front wheel is on the ramp and the rear is still on the ground. 8O

-Morgan

Comment

I don't really know if any one technique is better than any other, but this is how I generally load a bike into the back of a van. The loading area height is generally about the same as that as the bed of a pickup, so, it should work with either vehicle.

>>>>Press Here<<<<
              Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
              "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
              1982 GS1100E
              1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

[quote="dpep"][Talk about a Freudian slip!! Good eye, Ron.

Yeah actually I was thinking about one of the standard crank models.[/quote]

I understand they can be REALLY easy to find, Don. Many men wake up to one every morning :roll: :roll:
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

[quote="argonsagas"]
                  Originally posted by dpep
                  [Talk about a Freudian slip!! Good eye, Ron.

Yeah actually I was thinking about one of the standard crank models.[/quote]

I understand they can be REALLY easy to find, Don. Many men wake up to one every morning :roll: :roll:
                  Believe it or don't its a Ripley one off truth
                  John.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan
                    The only problem I have with that technique is that my legs are too short to reach the ground when the front wheel is on the ramp and the rear is still on the ground. 8O

-Morgan
                    True - I haven't found a way around that yet. There is a time when the front wheel is on the ramp but the rear wheel hasn't reached it yet when the leg length requirement is longer than mine. Once the rear wheel reaches the ramp, though, it's ok, and so far (touch wood) all the problems I have had have been closer to the top of the ramp.

Originally posted by frosty5011
                    I don't really know if any one technique is better than any other, but this is how I generally load a bike into the back of a van. The loading area height is generally about the same as that as the bed of a pickup, so, it should work with either vehicle.
                    Oh man And I go vroom vroom too (sitting on the bike)

Pete

Comment

My 78 GS1000 has been lifted in and out of pickups on several occations by two people. Front wheel first. Then both on the back making sure you lift it high enough before sliding it in so as not to drag the bottom.

I am not recommending this as I am very large and strong as well as my friends and family members but I am thinking that if two of us do it often with little effort then people of smaller stature should be able to do it with 3 or 4 people. It's quite easy.

I like to put my bike on it's side stand then and push it diagnally into the bed. Front wheel cut the whole way left and tucked tight into the corner behind the driver and the rear wheel pulled over against the right side of the bed. Then a tight rope from the top tripple tree clamp area to the corner of the bed is all that is really needed to secure it for even the longest journeys. More rope is always better but if you tie ropes off to the right them you only want them snug, not tight.

Doing it this way I have been able to drive normally giving almost not thought at all to the bike in the back. many a bike has made the trip with my in this fassion. Both street and dirt bikes a like.

Hope that helped. I know it was a late post. Sorry

Comment

Comment

LOL! That is oooo good. A keeper

Thanks for the laugh Jeckler!

Comment

Good one Jeckler. Whoever did the editing was very good. I'll keep this one.

Comment

Not that my method adds any info to all these posts, but here goes:

I have a 10' 2x12 with some metal ramp-ends bolted on (overpriced at big hardware stores). I back my truck across the street to my neighbors driveway, which is steep where it meets the street. Push or drive the bike to his driveway and wheel it onto the truck - the ramp is almost level and I can do it alone. Then I put the sidestand down and hook a tiedown to each eye-bolt on the sides of the front of the bed and hook then to the handlebars. Then I get on the bike, lean forward and bounce my considerable weight to compress the forks, at the same time tightening the tiedowns - alternating left to right. Solid as a rock.
                              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson
                                Not that my method adds any info to all these posts
                                You underestimate yourself, sir. You tought me something.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X