Leading axle forks: pros & cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leading axle forks: pros & cons?

What is the difference, benefit, and/or drawback to the leading axle forks? I have a whole leading axle front end and was considering swapping it onto my '78 GS1000 if it make sense. Thanks!

There was supposed to be an advantage, but I forgot what it was advertised to be. I really could not tell the difference. Do they still use the leading front axel today? I really haven't noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
      There was supposed to be an advantage, but I forgot what it was advertised to be. I really could not tell the difference. Do they still use the leading front axel today? I really haven't noticed.
      The GSXR1000, 750 and the last GS, the GS500F, do not have them. Must have been one of those "tech" fads...

Hap

Comment

I think it was to do with changing the rake/trail and perhaps trying to make the forks ride more compliantly. It did not catch on! I think those leading axle forks are a bit flimsy and need a fork brace

Comment

If you are talking true leading link they are an advantage with things like sidehacks. If you're just talking about axles mounted to the front of the fork lowers that's a whole nother story. Here's a site that explains true leading link forks. http://www.sidestrider.com/leadingfork.html

Comment

I remember reading a road test many years ago and they said the leading axle fork increased the wheelbase and made the bike more stable.
            I don't know. Maybe it helped the "L" models. I would'nt put them on my 1000.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

My 2cent's The L model forks = The crusier / chopper look along with slower steering

Comment

Also, 78 GS1000 are perfect as they are. I am sure Keith would agree!!!

Comment

Yes I do! Great bike! But the '79 was more refined and civilized 8) .
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

This is from memory...

Leading axle forks were started in the dirt bike world. As more and more suspension travel was required, the bikes started getting too tall. The leading axle allowed longer tubes (more travel) yet kept the seat height down.

I agree with the longer wheelbase without slowing down the steering as being one of the other advantages.

As for strenght, do you really think you can abuse your chassis anymore than a Supercross bike??? They have ran leading axle for years and I never heard of a failure.

Kenny

Comment

leading axel fork

If you just install leading axel fork legs and use the original fork yokes you will be reducing the trail from what the designer intended. The effort needed to turn the handlebar will be reduced, but stability could be compromised. Trail gives the bike a centering force at speed. Think of the swiveling front wheel on the supermarket cart. The axel is behind the pivot point. On a motorcycle the tire contact point is behind the fork pivot point, usually about 3.5 inches or so. A leading axel fork will reduce the measurement by about 1.5 inches. Off road bikes that use a leading axel fork normally will have fork yokes without a lot of offset. The pivot point and the fork leg centers will be close to straight across to compensate for the leading axel.

I can provide a drawing and data if you email me.

HG

Comment

The GS-'L' series had leading axle forks in order to allow the appearance of longer 'chopper' style forks, without making the wheelbase too long.
                        Someone mentioned leading link forks; don't confuse the two. Leading link forks are popular for side-car rigs.

Comment

Working...
                        X