I think I may have a clutch install coming up..advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I may have a clutch install coming up..advice needed

As I was riding with my buddy, I did a roll-on in a high gear, and about the time the engine started to make power, I felt the clutch slip a little. I immediately let off and it hasn't done it since. I know that I am probably looking at doing the clutch in the near future........

Has anyone done it? Any advice, or links? What about aftermarket stuff? I am pretty sure it has aftermarket clutches and springs in it already, but I have no idea how old or what type.

I would prefer to spend a little extra and get beefed up stuff. Has anyone run a lock-up, where you add weights to the fingers? How did they work? What brand? Any probs encountered??

Sorry for so many ????'s, but I would like to try this myself, as I feel I am quite capable.

What kind of oil are you using??? Maybe try different oil, MC oil for wet clutch usage

Comment

I agree with Sqdancer, use a good MC oil, no synthetic stuff !

Apart from that i think I've done it all :?
      HD springs, extra steel plate, different friction plates and finally a lock up clutch.....

Try to find out what you're using now.
      If it's standard springs and nine thick friction plates you can start by trying HD springs.
      If that's not enough try an extra steel plate or switching to the later models thinner friction plates, you can fit ten of those if I remember correctly thus giving you more friction area.

I ended up with a set of thin friction plates, an extra steel plate and HD springs at the same time, not fun riding in the city !
      Also there was no slack in the clutch handle and I could hardly ever get into neutral if the bike wasn't rolling.
      So, I mounted a luck up clutch this month. It's been working great all the 300km:s I've used it.

I'll write more about it on my site when I've used it a little bit more.

Comment

I have been using regular Pennzoil 10W40. I have never noticed a problem before, even at the track. Except for the one time I had the clutch adjusted a little too tight :roll: I will try changing the oil.

Biker 66: My bike sounds like what yours was before the Lock-up.... Really stiff clutch, very little play, hard to get into neutral (which I thought was the undercut tranny) and one other thing: When I am stopped and have the clutch pulled all the way in, with the bike in gear, I can't start it because the bike tries to roll. It is like the clutch didn't disengage all the way.....

What brad of lock up are you using, and where did you get it?

Comment

I had a Barnett HD clutch and springs in my 1100 years ago and got clunky and hard shifts while useing them. My local Dealer said that stock plates and springs were the way to go , so i did, and have never had a problem since. This was easily 10 years ago and it still shifts just fine, and no slipping either.

Comment

Re: I think I may have a clutch install coming up..advice ne

Originally posted by Ludicrous Speed
            As I was riding with my buddy, I did a roll-on in a high gear, and about the time the engine started to make power, I felt the clutch slip a little. I immediately let off and it hasn't done it since. I know that I am probably looking at doing the clutch in the near future........

Has anyone done it? Any advice, or links? What about aftermarket stuff? I am pretty sure it has aftermarket clutches and springs in it already, but I have no idea how old or what type.

I would prefer to spend a little extra and get beefed up stuff. Has anyone run a lock-up, where you add weights to the fingers? How did they work? What brand? Any probs encountered??

Sorry for so many ????'s, but I would like to try this myself, as I feel I am quite capable.
            It is a good idea to beef up your clutch, but I would concentrate on the clutch basket. I am not sure you would get your money's worth out of a lock-up clutch. A good HD clutch basket from Murdoch Racing, Cope Racing, Ward Performance, APE, or any good reputable speed vendor would probably be money wisely spent. Heavier rivets on the clutch basket with heavier backing plate springs would be good insurance against clutch explosions.

I have had good luck with the stock plates. I have also used the Barnett clutch plates (they use an extra plate), and found it acceptable but prefer the feel of the stock plates.

Hap

Comment

L Speed - After messing with MRE I got an ART lock up from Orient Express. I have a few picures on my site.

Comment

It is a good idea to beef up your clutch, but I would concentrate on the clutch basket
                Been there, got that! (check the sig)

After messing with MRE I got an ART lock up from Orient Express. I have a few picures on my site.
                Did you do the install yourself? Would you do it again? The reason I am asking, is I hear you can get a light clutch with no slippage probs. I would love not having the Popeye forearm on the left side........

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I see it now! Eyesight going with age...or at least that is what I am going to blame it on! Call APE (1-800-824-1825) and ask for a catalog. They carry lock up and slipper clutches by Murdoch Racing Enterprises and MTC and give a good description of them in their catalog.

Hap

Comment

Sounds like clutch springs. I found I was having slippage problems during high rpm shifts, so I gassed the stock springs and threw in some Barnetts. Work great. 8)
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

The installation is as simple as it gets, just buy an extra clutch cover gasket.
                      I also got two extra posts (tubes) that keeps the cover centered and new standard springs.

The clutch is now easier on my hand than my 400cc bike !
                      So yes, I'd do it again.

Comment

Working...
                      X