X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attaching a rear luggage rack properly

Hi all.
    I just bought an '80 GS850G this fall.
    The seat pan is cracked and the top is shredded so I bought a new seat off e-bay.
    I think the reason the seat pan cracked was because the rear luggage rack/backrest was installed wrong. It was hooked on with 2 bolts each side through the side of the seat and pan so all the weight was pulling on the seat pan with a lifting/twisting motion and some good leverage.
    Is there another way to do this? Should I be reinforcing the pan in some way so it doesn't recur? Is there a trick I should know?
    Thanks for all the advice so far and look forward to replies.
    Ian

Maybe its the wrong rack. Ususlly racks are attached to a part of the frame at thier rear and to the top shock bolts at thier front. but at least to the frame in both cases. Of course i dont know anything about G models but it sounds wrong or like something is missing.

Comment

I believe the 850 has the same mounts as my 1100G.

As noted, the front of the rack goes on the top shock mount.

The lift handle on the left side must be removed, and the rear mount hole on the frame is used for the rack. There is a mount hole on the right, ready to use.

Depending on your rack configuration, or bag system, you may have to remove the tail lights from their mounts, and move them to suit. You can then use the tail light mount hole.

Remember.....on ALL these mounts, use only bolts that are long enough to fill the threads, but do not extend into the wheel well. If you use longer ones, you risk damaging the tire, as the suspension compresses, and the wheel moves up.

I put a GK bag mount on my 1100G, but it was not perfectly compatible and required modifications to fit. (The GK and G have slightly different mounting points for several things) The modifications were simple enough, though, as it took a couple of 3-inch flat steel plates and some spacers to run from the tail light mount to the rack, and another to mount the tail lights. The tail lights had to be moved anyway as they had to fit behind the Vetter bags.

Again, depending on your choice of bags, modifications may have to be made. Vetter bags are probably the most fun, as some were molded to fit certain bikes. I had to cut off the molded part of each bag, then fabricate a new back. I got slightly less space than was there originally, but they work well, and the very rough repair job is not visible when the bags are on the bike. In fact, I have had compliments on them.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I have a 79&80 GS850 The rack should mount to the top shock mount and to the mounting hole where the turn signal bracket mounts if it is still there. (bolt goes thru the bracket, the frame and the fender- bolting the hole mess together). If it is not mounted this way IT IS the wrong rack for your bike. None of them should be mount to the seat. The holes in the seat are for a passanger grab rail that wraps around the back of the seat

Comment

Working...
        X