Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"78" GS 1000; Is it the seat, or the tail section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"78" GS 1000; Is it the seat, or the tail section?

I'm confused, I recently sold a seat to a fellow gsresources member. The seat was from a "79" GS 1000 "EN". He was going to put it on a "78" GS 1000 "C". When he got it mounted, everything fit perfectly, except for a gap between the back of the seat and the front of the tail section of about 1 1/4". Has anyone else put an "E" model seat on a "standard" model GS 1000 , and how did it fit? I had the same seat on my "79" GS 1000 "S", and it fit fine. Does the "E" come with a different tail section, or what ? Please help me get unconfused.

I thought the "E" was the standard model...

Hap

Comment

I thought that all the GS1000 seats were the same, except for the stepped "custom" versions.
      I have swapped seats off my "S" onto an "E" & a "C" with no problems.

Comment

When he got it mounted, everything fit perfectly, except for a gap between the back of the seat and the front of the tail section of about 1 1/4".
        Robinjo and I were discussing this a few weeks ago, because I happen to have the same problem with my '78 GS1000 (which still has the original seat). If I understood him correctly (and it could very well be that I'm mistaken, since when I tend to have a beer or two when chatting with my fellow Europeans), that was a problem with the early GS1000's in general. Some magazine reviewed the bike, and that was about the only flaw which they could mention about the bike. So, what he had done on his, was raise the rear fender/spoiler, to close the gap.

Sounds like a darned good idea, one that I'll be doing to mine too.
        Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
        1982 GS1100E
        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

The standard seats were flat, the "E" seats had about 1" rise, and the "L" or custom seat was totally different with about 3" (I think) rise. The "E" was the standard model in 1980, but in "78" & "79" the standard model was the one with the spoke wheels.

Comment

The 78 GS1000 has a different tail section. The seat from a later model fits, except for the gap. I doubt if raising the tail piece will work.

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
              The 78 GS1000 has a different tail section. The seat from a later model fits, except for the gap. I doubt if raising the tail piece will work.
              The problem on my S was that the plastic parts that run under the seat didn't match up the lower line of the tailpiece so I shimmed it up about 5mm wich also took away some of the gap between the seat and the tail, a 1/2" gap still remained though. My bike did have the correct seat judging by it's block pattern on top (did have cut down foam), could it have had a earlier models tail piece? :?

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0TAC6F1sXJojxP7L1YVH8z9SYQm0gvhRIqtNjq7FI0sMczYDDV JARa1z9Cfi3ZmaWkzIBjwEJBYrDD6XZWJC2rny*V0KSPZf0cff OQ3eCce*gcwoAMlLULA/ME%20foto1kleiner.jpg?dc=4675429461811489810[/img]

Comment

OK, We're getting there. What if we use a "79" or "80" model tail section? I realize it will not have the indention for the stripe, but will the gap be gone? I may have acess to a "78" E model tail, but if I understand jojo correctly, that wouldn't work either

Comment

I have an aftermarket Guilari (spelling?) seat. I have put this seat onto every GS1000 I have owned, taking it off before selling the bike. Every time it has fitted perfectly. I have not owned a GS with the tailpeice moulded for the stripe, so that may explain why it always seems interchangeable. But I have built up GS's out of bits, so I haven't known what year the bits were off & the seat/tails have always matched up. Maybe this is another case of us getting same models in UK but with slight differences.
                  I have a couple of spare tailpieces in the garage & I have been looking at them and can see no differences.
                  Maybe I've just been lucky!!

Comment

Working...
                  X