Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the baffles out of the exhaust?

Hey,
    This is my first post...excellent forum...I had recently purchased my first bike...I am proud to say the it is a 82 Suzuki GS650G...my question is on inside of the exhaust pipes there are black baffles that I think are for sound dampening...is that all these are for or do they serve any other purpose...Im thinking of taking them off...also I notice more exhaust coming out of one side more than the other...is this normal or is this a sign of a problem.......please give me some insight on this issue....
    THANX

baffle removal

1 word, DON'T The factory made this exhaust the way it is for a few reasons. 1.It looks good,2. It is quiet, 3. most importantly, it works with the carbs and motor as a complete efficient package. Should you pull the baffles, be prepared to start playing with possible idle and running problems as a result. Pick any of the topics listed under names like (jets, 4-1, idle, rich, fouled plug, holed piston......) and you'll see just how much work you could make yourself. These motors are bulletproof and will hang in there for a very long time, left stock. Some may disagree with this but it is a 650, not an 1100 so you're not out racing with it anyway, right?
    As for more pressure from one side of the pipes than the other, in theory there can't be. Under the motor is a crossover/collector that helps even out pulses and helps scavenge exhaust. Maybe one of your mufflers has some errant dog food from mice in it?? Spend some time looking around this great site and you'll see there is a distinct breakdown of problems. Carbs, ignition,...most are just age issues.

Comment

Yeah what he said..DONT
      Dink

Comment

its unaminous........dont. I did that to my kawasaki 650 and it ran like crap so i bought a 4 into 1 and then rejetted the carbs and $400 later it ran as good as it did before I started.

Comment

You may have a leak somewhere along the line, at one or more locations in your exhaust system. I had this problem on a Honda CB 550K years ago. At first I thought I had some kind of carburetion or engine problem.

Try this simple test: Start your bike and let it warm up and idle, put some old gloves on and get an old towel and wad it up and hold it over one tailpipe exhaust outlet. Listen for exhaust leaks and/or a change in engine RPM. Then repeat the process with the other pipe(s). (Most GS bikes have two tailpipes, stock from the factory. I believe some have 4, like my old Honda.)

Could be a leaky gasket at the exhaust ports, a loose connection at a header/tailpipe junction, or a rusted-out hole at the bottom of a pipe somewhere that you can't see from above.

If you are in a warm climate, do this test in a reasonably brief time, or use a small, quiet fan to blow cooling air over the engine while it is running, to prevent overheating. Obviously, do this test in a well ventilated space for your own safety.

Comment

Working...
          X