I don't know what I did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what I did?

I replaced the brushes in my wifes scooter starter and put it back in, 8O IT'S RUNNING THE WRONG DIRECTION
    OK, take it out again, check did I screw up the wiring when I put in the brushes, no, can only be done one way. Put it back together and put it back in the scooter.
    =D> Now it turns the right direction. What the H is up with that??
    Apart from take it out open it and put it back in, I didn't change anything

You must have two wires switched somewhere...You don't need to polarize these starters...at least I've never seen it done on a motorcycle.

Hap

Comment

Did the motor start? I've heard that 2-strokes can backfire and start up in the wrong direction.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Now I know!!

After talking to the neighbor who is one of those electrical engineer types, he informed me that if the magnets in the housing are not in the original orientation, the motor will run in reverse. I must have rotated the housing while putting it back together the first time, then when I took it apart the second time I put it back the correct way. 8)

Comment

Re: Now I know!!

Originally posted by Clone
          After talking to the neighbor who is one of those electrical engineer types, he informed me that if the magnets in the housing are not in the original orientation, the motor will run in reverse. I must have rotated the housing while putting it back together the first time, then when I took it apart the second time I put it back the correct way. 8)
          I would have sworn that the housing is made in such a way it prevented that.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
            Did the motor start? I've heard that 2-strokes can backfire and start up in the wrong direction.

Cheers, Steve
            On the old two-stroke Bond three wheel car thats how they got reverse!
            True, you stopped the engine, operated a control that changed the timing then restarted it, Bingo! - reverse complete with 3 speeds!
            I wonder why they weren't very popular?

Comment

I had a 175 Bultaco for a while, and every once in a while when I kick-started it it would run backwards. It was disconcerting to put it in first and chug off down the road in the wrong direction.

Harrison

Comment

that'd be fun to get it started, and hit the throttle and go backwards! 8O

Comment

Wonder what an endo would be then? And now a wheelie would be imposible! lol

Comment

Her scooter starter housing is a steel tube with magnets mounted inside and a hole in the end housing a roller bearing. There are no keyways, notches or other aligning marks, just two bolt holes that can be put 180 degrees apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone
                      Her scooter starter housing is a steel tube with magnets mounted inside and a hole in the end housing a roller bearing. There are no keyways, notches or other aligning marks, just two bolt holes that can be put 180 degrees apart.
                      That explains it! Probably best to use a scribe next time.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                      X