He told me when i bought it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He told me when i bought it...

Can u tell by looking if it has a Dyna ignition and a Jet kit just by seeing it or not

kind of

The Dyna S ignition should be easy to see, the CDI (black box) should say Dyna S on it, now the jet kit is a little harder, in order to tell that you must remove the carbs and take out the actual main jet, there will be a size stamped on here that you can compare to the original to see if it has been tinkered with. Also if the bike has things like a 4 into 1 exhaust header or individual air filters for each carb instead of one large intake, this is signs the bike has been jetted. Generally if you modify the exhaust or intake a bike must be rejetted! What year is the bike?

Comment

There is another way to tell if you have re-jetted carb. Pull the carb top off and remove the diaphram and slide, remove the needle if it has more than one groove it is aftermarket as the stock ones only have one clip position, so if the needle has been changed it is fairly likely that a "jet kit" has been fitted.
      Dink

Comment

Re: kind of

The Dyna "S" ignition system does not use a black box (ignitor box).
        The Dyna "S" kit contains a breaker plate with two pickup sensors, a rotor and wiring harness. On the side of the sensor, there is a label that says Dyna S. Also, the Dyna S is not a capacitive discharge ignition. It is electronic as is the stock GS system. (unless it was points of course :-) )
        Earl

[quote="KrazyKarl02"]
        The Dyna S ignition should be easy to see, the CDI (black box) should say Dyna S on it,
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

so do i have to take the side cover off to see if it has one?

Comment

The ignition pickups and breaker plate are located under the round cover
            (has three machine screws holding it on) on the right side crankshaft end.
            You have to remove the round cover to see the ignition pickups.

Earl

Originally posted by bostrom155
            so do i have to take the side cover off to see if it has one?
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: He told me when i bought it...

Can u tell by looking if it has a Dyna ignition and a Jet kit just by seeing it or not
              To see if the bike has a Dyna S ignition, do as Earl said. That's a good ignition. As for the jet kit, you have to get into the carbs. Is there a performance pipe and/or pod filters? If so, there SHOULD be a jet kit.
              Don't be impressed just because the bike is supposed to have a jet kit. The important thing is if the jetting has been set correctly. Look at the sparkplugs. Are they a gray/tan color? If they're whitish or black, you'll know you have some work to do. A whitish plug means the engine has been running hot and you should be careful about buying it. It also depends on how many miles the bike has been running under these conditions.
              If it has a kit, at least you won't have to buy one. Just don't take the words
              "jet kit", as meaning the jetting is correct and the bike is faster than stock, etc, etc.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll pull the cover off and check hope it does if not i'll get one. As for the jet kit, it has a supertrapp (old) and uni pods. I bought a jet kit? off ebay. it's called "dynojet resaerch carburetor recalibration system" for stock engines with kx series kerker exhaust and k & n pods??? the ebay ad said its a stage 3?? there are a ton on ebay now? what did i get?

Comment

Regarding a jet kit - the caps over the mixture screws should be removed so that they can be adjusted. Of course the caps could have been pulled out regardless but this would be your first (and only external) sign that there might be a jet kit installed. And if the seller is a packrat or obsessive-compulsive, they mighty have saved the paper work and packaging from the Dyna and the jet kit to prove that they're in there?

Let us know what you find!

Jim

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll pull the cover off and check hope it does if not i'll get one. As for the jet kit, it has a supertrapp (old) and uni pods. I bought a jet kit? off ebay. it's called "dynojet resaerch carburetor recalibration system" for stock engines with kx series kerker exhaust and k & n pods??? the ebay ad said its a stage 3?? there are a ton on ebay now? what did i get?
                    Dynojet gives a part # to every kit. Make sure it's for your bike. For pod and pipe changes, a stage 3 kit is correct. Because you have different parts that may flow differently than the jet kit describes, be prepared for trial and error.
                    You should first read the plugs. If they are the correct color and the motor runs good, don't worry about the jetting. Maybe you're lucky and the bike has been re-jetted correctly.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                    X