Difference between regular and Harley k491s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between regular and Harley k491s

Anybody know if there's a difference between the standard Dunlop K491s and the Harley version?

There's an MU90HB16 available on ebay. The 'H' denoting Harley.

The Harley one has Harley Davidson in raised letters on the side :twisted:

Comment

Would be kind of ironic then. 8)

Is there any difference in compound, etc.?

Comment

No, Identical tire with only that exception. :twisted:

Comment

Funny that one should ask that question. I retired from teaching back in June, 2003, and the family of one of my students decided to give me a motorcycle-related retirement present -- a $150 gift certificate to......

the local Harley-Davidson dealer!

What makes this funny is that I'm known around here as the world's #1 Harley despiser.

So, my wife and I went to Harley-Davidson of Frederick, hoping to find something good. Well, it's nothing but Harley parts and Harley accessories, and Harley this, and Harley that. No generic motorcycle stuff anywhere to be seen, but a proprietary type of franchise business. (Which shows how often I frequent those Harley boutiques).

So, I go up to the parts desk and ask for a Dunlop 402 rear tire, size MT90-16 or 130/90-16 -- in other words, a rear tire that suits my GK. I was told that this tire was to be installed on a Harley only. After letting out a hearty laugh, I told the parts guy that was a silly thing to say, that a tire that size is comparable to the K491 Dunlop.

So, I bought this overpriced tire with the gift certificate, and even got a couple of bucks change off that. I took it to my mechanic to be installed on my 16-inch stock Suzuki rim, and it fit perfectly, as expected.

I still have the 17-inch wheel installed on my GK at this time, so I haven't had a chance to test the Harley tire on my Suzuki rim. I suspect it will work just fine, and I won't be able to tell any difference between that and the K491, in handling, braking, cornering, mileage, etc. I'll report on it later on the year when I've had a chance to run this Harley tire.

No, it's not a whitewall, so one has to look closely to see the Harley name on it. That would've been even more of a joke, to see the white letters of Harley on the Suz.

Well meaning people gave me that gift certificate. To them all motorcycles are Harleys, I guess...

Nick

Comment

I imagine the Harley brand leaks.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Nick, I would be willing to pay GOOD money for a copy of the "Nick in the Harley store" video that your wife surely made. :-) :-) :-) :-)

Earl

HEY EVERYONE! NICK WENT TO THE H A R L E Y STORE. :-) :-) :-)

[quote="Nick Diaz"]
              Funny that one should ask that question. I retired from teaching back in June, 2003, and the family of one of my students decided to give me a motorcycle-related retirement present -- a $150 gift certificate to......

the local Harley-Davidson dealer!

What makes this funny is that I'm known around here as the world's #1 Harley despiser.

[code][color=darkblue][/color][b][color=blue][/color][size=18][/size][color=blue][/color][color=blue][/color][/b][color=blue][/color][b][color=blue][/color][color=blue][/color][/b][/code][b][list]
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Dear Nick, why didn't you ask for gear lube? they use it for the separate gearboxes.

Earl your use of HTML is very humorous!

much like my spelling is to Nick...

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  I suspect it will work just fine, and I won't be able to tell any difference between that and the K491, in handling, braking, cornering, mileage, etc. I'll report on it later on the year when I've had a chance to run this Harley tire.
                  Nick
                  I think you will like it a lot....I had to put one on my bike last summer when I noticed a severe cut in my back tire the night before I was leaving for a weekend ride. I was in in a hurry and the only tire the local independent shop had that would fit my bike was a "Harley" version of a Dunlop 491 Tour Elite they had "laying around". Best part was after grumbleing about having to put that "Harley" crap on my bike the guy knocked $15 bucks off the price just to get rid of it.

Comment

It's a done deal. One K491 Elite, new, $120 including shipping.

I have K491s front and back already and they're great. The rear has hardened after spending a couple of years outside so it was time for a replacement. The current tire was most likely the major contributing factor in a small, ok large, excurion into a dirt field a month ago.

There's no shortage of 'Bad to the Bone' Harley riders down here. :roll: I may paint in the 'Harley Davidson' on the tire just to see if one of them notices. Right before they see my tail blasting away from the stop light, or going around a corner, either way.

Them: $30,000 two wheeled tractor.
                    Me: $2,000 (so far) superbike that stops, goes, and turns like a real bike should.

Comment

Working...
                    X