removing cylinder head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing cylinder head

hello, need some expert gser info here...im planning on installing new piston rings, and was wondring if removing the chain tensioner is first step, after lining up marks of course, to remove the head. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Ian

Re: removing cylinder head

Originally posted by GS650rabbit
    hello, need some expert gser info here...im planning on installing new piston rings, and was wondring if removing the chain tensioner is first step, after lining up marks of course, to remove the head. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Ian
    I remove the cam chain tensioner first, followed by the cam cover and cams, then the head, and finally the cylinders. I don't worry about timing marks until I put the motor back together.

Comment

If you are not sure about the timing, reset it and take pictures for reference when putting it back together. When installing the cyl block - it helps to have two people, You can use hose clamps for ring compressors , DO the center two first,

Comment

If the head is stuck on you can use rope to get it off, just remove # 1 & 4 plugs, rotate crank until about halfway up compression stroke, and feed a bunch of rope in. Then turn the crank. I used this method on a serously stuck BMW R75/5 and it worked fine, with no damage.

Comment

Working...
        X