Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Un-Comfortable Throttle Pressure

I have noticed that the pressure it takes to hold the throttle open on my
    79GS550 is very tiring and tends to cramp my hand. Is there some adjustment to the throttle to reduce this pressure or is this common. I have seen some type of after market device that looks like you use the inside pad of our thumb to hold the throttle open but havent seen one and do not know if this is a good remedy...Your thoughts appreciated.

I had the same trouble on my 1100e a bit og oil on the cable and machanisms did it
    it's still is not soft as a babbys butt butt it is ok now

Comment

I always thought the early GS's had a very heavy throttle. My 85 550EF has a very light throttle on the other hand. If you hold the throttle steady, you can get a throttle lock at almost any bike shop. The are activiated by your thumb and just lock the twist grip in one position. They work OK on the open road, but it the hills get too big, your speed varies greatly.

You could also look for the grips with the bulge built into them. The bulge hits you on the outside of the palm and thus resting your and will keep the throttle opened. You need to be very sure where your hand fits when you install them, or it just gets in your way, or is too uncomfortable to use.

Kenny

Comment

They make strap-on "throttlers" that attach to your grip with velcro, leaving you a plastic tab to rest the heel of your hand on to hold the throttle open.

I've also heard of people using hose clamps - just tighten the clamp around your throttle (not too tight!), and trim the tab so there's just enough to rest the heel of your hand on at cruising speed. It may take some adjusting, but hose clamps are cheap....

-Q!

Comment

Some people put on a lighter spring. Check out the local hardware store.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Aww, Keith. That's too easy!!

Comment

Works just fine Keith. I took the throttle spring off my 750E and matched it up with three springs at the local hardware store. I chose springs with the same type of hooked ends and same length, but with different thickness wire diameter. they were about $1 each. I tried each of them on the bike and one gave me near neutral pressure on the twist grip. Now if I let go the grip, the throttle closes, but there is almost zero effort to hold the throttle open.

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Just to clarify, if venoy chooses a lighter spring, it's OK if you cannot get one the exact same length. If it's a little shorter, that's OK. Just as long as the spring can expand enough without getting stretched and loosing its ability to completely return. If you're lucky like Earl you'll find one that's just right.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'll have to try that (spring swap) ... the throttle on my '80 550L is "killer" after more than a short ride -- thank goodness the bike came with a throttle lock!

Steve 8)

Comment

My RS carbs have two or three springs on them. Just unhook one to lighten the throttle.

Comment

its hard finding those metric springs.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                        My GS1000 over the last several years has gottan soooo stiff that this year it was almost unbearable. I took out the cables and cleaned and lubbed them and put on a new throttle tube since mine was cracked anyway. Still the same, no change at all. My mechanic tells me that the steel used to make the springs in those old MIC carbs gets stiff over the years and that this is very common for vintage bikes using these carbs. He has ordered new springs for me and assures me this will fix it.

It wasn't like that when i bought it so I am hopeful that he is right.

Comment

Stiff Throttle Spring

Thanks People for the excellent suggestions. I am gonna see if I can find some replacement springs for the 79 Gs 550L..I looked at some doo dads
                          that attached to the throttle that let you apply pressure with the base of your thumb but havent bought them yet....Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                          X