79 GS750 Airbox seal deteriorated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS750 Airbox seal deteriorated

OK I bough this bike over the summer as a "winter project" and when inspecting the airbox to clean the filter, it had tiny foam rubber pieces everywhere in the bottom of the airbox etc. Further investigating led me to believe that the seal above the air filter (slide in style) has just dry rotted/deteriorated, and air is leaking through the now empty space where the seal was. So I was wondering if anybody has encountered this problem, and can provide some ideas as to replacing the seal.. It looks as though I can make a seal, but want to hear any input anybody has.

Just go to the hardware store and get some self adhesive weather stripping, cut it to fit

Comment

Re: 79 GS750 Airbox seal deteriorated

I had exactly that same problem on my 79 750E when I got it 3 years ago.
      I cut a new gasket from a couple of old mouse pads and glued it in place on the filter housing with trim adhesive. The repair is still doing just fine.

Earl

Originally posted by chgs750
      OK I bough this bike over the summer as a "winter project" and when inspecting the airbox to clean the filter, it had tiny foam rubber pieces everywhere in the bottom of the airbox etc. Further investigating led me to believe that the seal above the air filter (slide in style) has just dry rotted/deteriorated, and air is leaking through the now empty space where the seal was. So I was wondering if anybody has encountered this problem, and can provide some ideas as to replacing the seal.. It looks as though I can make a seal, but want to hear any input anybody has.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        Just go to the hardware store and get some self adhesive weather stripping, cut it to fit
        Yep... I had the same problem when I bought my GS. I used 3/8" wide adhesive backed gray weather strip to seal the gap between the air cleaner and the box and on the chrome covers on each side of the box. Took a look at it a year later and it was still intact.

Comment

Mouse mats are most definitely the thing.

Roger

Comment

Working...
          X