New Bars on 650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Bars on 650G

anybody know if these will fit on my 650 and if this is a good buy ??

Thanks

Phil - I put a set of bars just like those on my 1000G - they work great!! Although I will caution you about one thing, your controls on the bars will now come into contact with the gas tank when turned lock to lock, solution - try to find a set of "bar backs" that raise and set the handlebars back towards the rider - I see them on Ebay every once and a while.

The price is a little steep - we have several aftermarket bike shops that sell them for $16.95 in black or chrome - might want to check Dennis Kirk before you buy from that auction. 8)

Comment

thanks for the info....

Comment

hey phil i got my bars (drag bars) locally for 20 bucks, i would stop by millwakee cycle recycle ask dave to help you hes a nice guy. i bet they have a killer selection. if you use drag bars you can turn them up slightly and and it should clear the tank, but keep in mind you will also need new mirrors like bar end mirrors, with drag bars. the oem mirrors make you look at your arm pits.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

i've got drag-bars on my 550e and i love 'em. they really make the bike look sweet!

Comment

yeah heres mine too, but i now have the same bar end mirrors as above. the oem mirrors didn't work.

-Ryan
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x

Comment

nice bikes.....

did you guys swap out the brake resourvoir (??) etc when you switched bars ?

Comment

Originally posted by PhilEkins
                nice bikes.....

did you guys swap out the brake resourvoir (??) etc when you switched bars ?
                Didn't have to on mine - everything fits and works just fine ... 8)

Comment

On my 850GL I switched from the stock "pull back" bars, to "Daytona" bars (too low and forward), to "Suzuki E" bars (just right). I was able to use the stock master cylinder/reservoir without a problem. There is some extra length in the brake, clutch and throttle lines but that hasn't been a problem for me.

The Daytona bars looked cooler, but I'm more comfortable riding with the Suzuki E bars.

Both sets of new bars were purchased from Flanders.

Comment

i used all the stock stuff, i just had to unbolt my break line and turn the hose 180 degrees so the steel fitting fitting to the hose would clear. you should be able to do everything on the cheap if you just just get trick as you install.

ryan
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x

Comment

Drag Bars

I installed a set of drag bars on my 1978 GS1000. They look great and make the bike handle better than with the stock bars. I do have a problem with the throttle cables binding. I used the stock cables but they're too long. I was wondering if anyone knows of where I can find cables that would restore proper performance.

Comment

Re: Drag Bars

Originally posted by JATO
                        I installed a set of drag bars on my 1978 GS1000. They look great and make the bike handle better than with the stock bars. I do have a problem with the throttle cables binding. I used the stock cables but they're too long. I was wondering if anyone knows of where I can find cables that would restore proper performance.
                        Getting the right lenth cables is the way to go but I just wanted to tell you what I did on my bike and it worked well. I did the same thing, 78 GS1000 and I fitted it with a pair of K&N drag bars and the cables were now too long. I simply rerouted them down to the carbs around the other side of the fork mount. They came out perfect lenth and worked that way for 7 years until I replaced them with proper lenth cables because the end broke off the return cable at the carb end. I can ask my mechanic where he got them but you may want to see if you can do what I did since we are talking about the same bike and bars that are most likely close to each other. Could save you some money.

Comment

Working...
                        X