replacing leaky valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing leaky valve cover gasket

Putting a new valve cover gasket on my 82 Gs550L. Got the gasket, but do i need any special sealant? What type? thanks

jc

No sealant required Make sure both surfaces are CLEAN coat the gasket with light oil, pam cooking spray?? Just enough to keep the gasket from sticking. Put a very small dab of silicon sealent on the 1/2 moon end caps if your engine uses them. USE a torque wrench on the bolts do not over tighten the bolts

Comment

that's true, no sealant is necessary... but I've noticed that that when You apply a thin layer of silicone grease on both sides of the gasket, it's easier to remove and reuse.

well, valve cover gaskets are quite cheap, but if You want to save this little money, here's a way...

Comment

Also, never clean the mating surfaces with anything that could scratch them and compromise the seal, you'll end up with a leak. Use a popsicle stick to scrape off any remaining stuck pieces of gasket.

Comment

While no sealant is needed, I like to put an extremely thin layer on the cover side only, this keeps the gasket stuck to the cover, and makes taking it on and off for Valve clearance checks easy.

Comment

Working...
          X