Broken Float mounting tab in carb #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Float mounting tab in carb #4

Hello, I'm a new member and I just purchased a 1979 GS750L.
    I got it for 500.00 and its in GREAT shape. The problem that caused the bike to sell for so little is that it keeps flooding the #4 cylinder (Near the left leg sitting on the bike). Upon dissection of the carbs I noticed that the mounting tab for the #4 float is snapped and apparently JB-Welded back incorrectly. *See picture below*

Could I have the tab rewelded back to its correct position or would it be better to just replace the #4 carb if I can find one for sale?

Also, could I use the carbs from the GS850 on this bike?
    Here are some shots of the bike.

I appreciate all advice and help.

Thank you,
    Dm of mD[/img]

Carbs

Yes,

You can use the 850's carbs. That GS850L there, plus the 750 which you have both use the CV 32mm carbs (although, I thought a '79 750 would have the VM26mm carbs...but pic you are showing is of CV carbs). There is possibly a difference in the jet size, which you could just switch out.

As far as fixing the broken tab on the 750, I once had the same problem. I had also tried JB weld, but that didn't work for long. The gas in the bowls softened it and it eventually came apart. You will have "very little" luck trying to find just a #4 carb....it will be much easier just to get a full bank of carbs (and if you wait long enough, you should be able to pick one up on e-bay for $20-$30). That will let you have lots of spare parts in case you ever need them later.

I fixed my original broken tab, by "carefully" drilling a hole in the center of the broken post/tab...about 3/8" in depth. Then I used a little spring pin that was just slightly oversize to mate the two pieces back together. On my GS850, it has held now for almost 4 years.

Good luck - You've got a good bike there.

Ron
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Thank you Ron. I knew that this bike was a great investment.
      See, I have a Vulcan 750 as well and that thing is impossible to modify or work on by myself. I have to take it to the shop for almost everything because of the way Kawa designed it. When I found this bike i knew it was for me because I could see a way to get at everything that I could possibly need to work on!! This is so kewl...I just knew this bike would be kewl. I just knew it. I may try the fix that you used for the busted carbs I have. If it works I'll sell the stockers and use a replacement of 850 carbs.

Thanks so much for the advice!!

Dm Ancruem

Comment

I'm pretty sure that bike is an 80 or newer. It's got a 16 Valve head and it's air box, forks, and chain guard look like the ones on my 81.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

If you use a set from a 850/1000 Check the jets and put the original ones in the replacement carbs. Your bike was probably made late 79? So it is a 1980 model To give you an additional option Check with Rob?
          http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com They have a method of repairing your carb.

Comment

My 550 has a carb with a similar problem. One side is completely broken off and believe it or not I run it that way! Works fine. You might try that. if you need to replace the rod cut a piece of Stainless Steel from an old trunk mount CB radio antenna, works great. (Kentucky hi tek Ngineering!) 8O

Comment

Yes, that is not a 79, but 80 or later. I think I have a #4 carb that is good (32mm). Email me.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                I'm pretty sure that bike is an 80 or newer. It's got a 16 Valve head and it's air box, forks, and chain guard look like the ones on my 81.

Cheers, Steve

Yes steve, thank you. I double checked last night and its a 1982 GS750L.

My mistake hehe,
                Dm

Comment

Message sent Don.
                  Thank you.

Dm

Comment

Working...
                  X