shifting noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shifting noise

My bike seems to shift fine, but I am curious about the sound it makes when I shift. Shifting up into 2nd and 3rd and down into 2nd and 3rd, there is an audible thud. This is not present shifting through 4th and 5th. Is this normal. Should I try shifting at different RPM's to see if it still does it?

Thank you,
    Billy Miles

If you are having strange noises while shifting I would check the sprockets and the chain for tension/ bad links

Comment

Also, dirty oil seems to make my 550 noisy when shifting. When I got the bike it was like that, then after an oil change it shifted quiet and smooth as silk.

Comment

I am not sure if the noise is supposed to be there or not. At the bottom or top of the shift there is a single thud or clunk right at the moment of engagement.

Comment

My 1981 550L shifts hard into 2nd both going up and going down, also with somewhat of a "clunk". It's been doing this since I got the bike a year and a half ago and I've been through several oil changes without a change in it. I don't find this to be a problem and it doesn't jump out of gear so I just accept this as an idiocyncracy of the bike.

Comment

Working...
          X