Best Kind of Chain Lube???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Kind of Chain Lube???

As you can see from my previous posts, I'm working at getting a bike that was stored for 7 years back in shape. The next item for concern is the chain. What's the best kind of cleaner and the best chain lube to use - is there a "clean" chain lube out there??

As far as the brand, I use Honda Chain Wax, I have heard nothing but good things about it, and I like it myself........

Clean chain cleaner?? I do not think such an animal exists!!!! I usually put mine on right after I get done riding, and let it sit all night. This tends to reduce the splatter.....

Something to watch out for: If the chain has been sitting for a long time, like mine was, there may be tight spots in the links, and no amount of lube will help them. Replacing the chain would be a good idea anyway, you don't want to take the chance that it will break. It could be dangerous......

Comment

Say
      What is a shaved reflector please?????

Comment

Craig,

The dealer from whom I just bought my bike recommended Bel Ray Super Clean Chain Lube. It's OK for O-ring chains. It turns kinda' white and sets up on the chain, doesn't attract dirt, dust, etc. I bought a can and am using it. Just got it about 2 weeks ago, so it's early to pass judgement, but it seems to be working as claimed.

Comment

Craig,

The dealer from whom I just bought my bike recommended Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube. It's OK for O-ring chains. It turns kinda' white and sets up on the chain, doesn't attract dirt, dust, etc. I bought a can and am using it. Just got it about 2 weeks ago, so it's early to pass judgement, but it seems to be working as claimed.

Comment

Craig.....try previous posts. I believe someone recommended a lube called PJ2 or 1. Have no experience with it....look for the posts on earlier pages.

I have used a product from Loctite Simple name...chain lube. Goes on as a light spray, sinks in and then thickens as the solvent evaporates. Used it for a couple of years. Seems to work well

Before you put anything on the chain, clean it well. If you can take it off, then soak it in kerosene, Varsol etc. Siwrl it, shake it. Then hang it out to dry thoroughly .

After it is thoroughly dried put on your lube of choice. and let it settle in for at least several hours, preferably all night.

If you are using a spray lube, then put the chain in a plastic bag after first spraying.....the solvent will go away slower. Subsequent sprays are done on the bike. Use an extended nozzle and put it on the chain while turning the wheel. I use two full turns of the chain.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
              Say
              "shaved reflectors" is where you remove the reflectors and seal up the mounting holes to where it looks like there was never anything there.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
                Say
                "shaved reflectors" is where you remove the reflectors and seal up the mounting holes to where it looks like there was never anything there.
                Thanks
                it sounds like a nice idea-I wish i knew yout first name--im sure it not FOCUS

Comment

Working...
                X