Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak

Well I took the petcock out of the tank and tore it down. The inside looks like hell. I may just replace the whole petcock with a new one. I found one on Ebay for an 81gs850. Will it fit my 79 GS850G? Also they was 50 some od bucks for it. Is that worth it?

New petcock/rebuild?

When you say it looks rough, in what way? if the metal parts are ok, you can rebuild your petcock, I think the kit for my '78 GS 750 (from K&L) was about $14 if I remember correctly. You probably would want to rebuild one you bought off Ebay anyway before installing it. The rebuild was easy, and no worrying about leaks external or into your sump due to a bad diaphragm not allowing the fuel not to shut off all the way when not running.
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

GS850GN/GT/GX 79-81 CW18-4354 $28 That is what the site lists but unfortunatly I dont know if I have a GN or a GT or a GX....... How do I tell. 1 ove my side covers says GS850 and the other side says GS850G I know its a G as its shaft drive but there is no listing for jsut an 850G it is a 79 so thats good that the year is right

Comment

79 would be a GN

Comment

cool thaNKS a million

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            79 would be a GN
            the second letter denotes the year model, T is 1980, X is 1981
            now if the second letter is a , then it is a cruser style GS and it will have a third letter, for example: GS1000GLN = G= shaft drive, L= cruser styling,N=1979

Comment

How do I tell if mine has "Cruser styling"? It came with a windjamer and hard case sadle bags, dose that make a diference?

Comment

The side covers say GS850L, has a steped seat and leading axel front forks I don't thing it was offered until 1980 model year

Comment

Well mine has a steped seat but what do you mean by leading axel front forks

Comment

The axle mounts on the front of the fork rather than directly on the bottom of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X