GS1000 Pistons in a GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Pistons in a GS1100

Does the GS1000 2 valve engine and the GS1100 2 valve engine have the same piston pin placement? They both have 18mm pins.

I have been unable to find replacement pistons for my GS1100G.

Wiseco makes a 2mm oversize (73mm) kit for the GS1000. If the pistons have the same pin location, that would be a 1mm oversize for my GS1100.

If anyone knows of another source of pistons for the 2 valve 1100, that information would be appreciated as well.

the GS1000 piston min. diameter is 69.945mm
    the 1100 piston min. size is 71.949mm acording the the Clymer service manual, so the Wiseco pistons would be 3mm over for the 1000
    pistons are still available for the 1100G engine, you can get them from www.bikebandit.com or from here http://www.powersportspro.com/partsf...splayfiche.asp
    I don't know if the second link will work as access to the microfisch there requires membership.
    membership is free, so you can go here www.powersportpro.comand sign up, they have the pistons for $49.13US for the stock size

Comment

I am really interesested in raising the compression from the stock 8.8 to 1 to the 10.25 to 1 that the Wiseco kit provides.

I guess I should have made that clearer in the first post.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Another way to raise compression is "decking" the head and cylinder block.
        Just be careful that the valves and piston DON'T start touching each other.

A good machinist can do this for a reasonable price.
        I had mine done when I rebuilt my 1000, it was also bored 20 thousands.

I got pistons and valves from Orient Express in NY.
        Stainless steel valves, were about 1/2 what Suzuki wanted.

How far are you going with this motor?
        Just to get it running better, or more power across the RPM range?
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Keith

Thanks for the tip on the valves. The 2 valve 1000's and 1100's use the same valves. I was going to use Vesrah, but will now use the Manley or Ferrea that Orient express sells.

I just bought a spare engine from Ebay and I want to make it better than new and put it in my bike. I bought my 82 GK in 1991. It had been wrecked and I rebuilt it. The engine runs good, but it just doesn't feel quite right.

I had a 80 1000G that I bought new and put 104,000 miles on it in the ten years I owned it. I would not hesitate to get on that bike and go cross country, even after a 100,000 miles.

I just don't have that confidence in this 1100. I think that going completely through the spare and making sure that everthing is right will give me that confidence once again.

To answer your question, I am not looking to build a race bike. I have a Stage 1 jet kit and a V&H 4-1 on the bike now. I just want to have a little more when I need it.

Comment

Working...
          X