GS650GLZ tires - tube or tubeless???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650GLZ tires - tube or tubeless???

A really stupid question... Does my '82 GS650GLZ (see picture - http://daniel.dynamic-site.net/finep...03-24--01w.jpg ) use tube type or tubeless tires? My riding experience is less than 3 years, and my first bike had wire wheels...
    Also, what do you think about Avon Super Venom tires? I was going to choose Dunlop GT501, but my boss - who has many years of riding - suggested Avon...

No stupid questions on this forum. All are valid, or you wouldn't be asking.

I am not familiar with the 650 series, nor the AVon tires, so I will offer info only on one part. A simple way to check is to look at the wheel rim...if it is an OEM wheel, then the it will be marked for tubeless tires. This will be stamped onto the metal.

You will undoubtedly get a few more answers shortly.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thank you Ron, that was a quick reply! And a helpful one, too: a closer look at the rims revealed the words "TUBELESS TIRE APPLICATION".

Comment

I've never ran Avon tires, but I'm definitely against Dunlops!!!!!

Comment

What is wrong with Dunlops? My '82 650GL has Dunlops on both front and back. I have noticed a wobble at 30MPH, but I contribute that to the bike sitting for a few years without being driven. The wobble as almost disappeared since I started driving it in April.

Me not knowing what is wrong with Dunlops may be because I do not know what a good tire feels like. This is my first motorcycle and I don't have anything to compare against.

Comment

tires

My bike was designed for tubeless application but I've heard that some of the early cast wheels were somewhat porous and that, without tubes, they would slowly leak. I bought the bike from the original owner and discovered that it does have tubes. Are they necessary?? I really don't know.

Saying Dunlop tires are no good is sort of like saying Chevy's are no good; you may prefer a different brand of tire but in these days of ridiculous consumer safety laws, the Dunlop Corporation would have been put out of business long, long ago if their tires weren't VERY, VERY good. :roll:
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

tubes or not

Hi,

My 82 650E has tubes and I recently purchased dunlops. They are performing well and I am very happy with them.

Check the reviews in the cycle mags. I think with most brands it just depends on what model you choose. Mine cost me 100.00 a piece and were recommended to me. When I winced at the price I was reminded that those tires are what is between me and the ground.....what kind of performance did I want. :?

I equate it to the helmut question......When buying a helmut I experienced sticker shock. I was going to opt for a cheap one and was asked....How much is your head worth? 8O

Good luck with your tires

Comment

I've never ran Avon tires, but I'm definitely against Dunlops!!!!!

This is a silly comment. Not stating the reason why, or what kind of Dunlop this comment applies to, etc. Please don't pay attention to this comment, which is basically unsupported personal opinion. I'm not disputing this person's right to state his opinions; keep in mind, however, that there's no backing up of this opinion.

I've run Dunlops on all my GS's and they work just fine. I've also run Bridgestones, Kendas, Avons, Michelins, IRC's -- you get the idea -- and I have yet to be disappointed with any of them; I ride rather aggressively, in all kinds of distances and weather conditions.

A set of Dunlop K491's would work great for your GS650. This is a proven all-around tire. In my opinion, based on long-term personal and anectodal experience, you can't go wrong with this tire, if the right size exists for your 650.

Nick

Comment

I also have always used Dunlops. I use the K491 tire like Nick spoke of, I love them, long long wear from these tires!!

Just another opinion.

Michael

Comment

Re: tubes or not

Originally posted by Atilla the Bunny
                    Hi,

I equate it to the helmut question......When buying a helmut I experienced sticker shock. I was going to opt for a cheap one and was asked....How much is your head worth? 8O

Good luck with your tires
                    I don't mean to be argumentative, but the logic of how much is your head worth when buying a helmet is not sound. I know you know better, but for those wanting to buy a helmet, it is far better to purchase a helmet that is both DOT and Snell approved than relying on the purchase price.

Comment

Working...
                    X