Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What RPM to shift at?

Hello again,

I'm a bit new to the sportier side of engines having only ridden cruisers this entire two-wheeled time. At what rpm range do you normally shift at on a standard bike/inline-4??

On my vulcan 750 I can shift as low as 3k rpm and as high as 7k rpm, but I suspect that things will be a bit different with the Gs750

Tks,
    Dm of mD

Re: What RPM to shift at?

Originally posted by Detman101
    Hello again,

I'm a bit new to the sportier side of engines having only ridden cruisers this entire two-wheeled time. At what rpm range do you normally shift at on a standard bike/inline-4??

On my vulcan 750 I can shift as low as 3k rpm and as high as 7k rpm, but I suspect that things will be a bit different with the Gs750

Tks,
    Dm of mD
    In spirited riding, I shift between 6500 and red line. In dragracing, I shift a little past redline. In normal street riding I just listen to the engine and shift when it sounds "right"...which on the 1100 is between 2500 RPM and 5500 RPM. On your 750 that would probably be between 3000 RPM and 6500 RPM.

Hap

Comment

Re: What RPM to shift at?

[quote="Hap Call
      In spirited riding, I shift between 6500 and red line. In dragracing, I shift a little past redline. In normal street riding I just listen to the engine and shift when it sounds "right"...which on the 1100 is between 2500 RPM and 5500 RPM. On your 750 that would probably be between 3000 RPM and 6500 RPM.

Hap[/quote]

I can't improve on that.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I second that.

Comment

in city or normal cruising roads below 55 MPH i like to keep to 5000 RPM's - so i'll shift around 6000 or so...the bike shifts smoother when its over 8000 RPM, so i save that for the open roads.

~Adam

Comment

I agre with hap..but I keep it simpler and just rev and change gears enough to go as fast as I need to go at the time...of course this depends on road conditions, rain, am I leaned right over etc etc etc. For normal road riding no need to redline it, unless you like to only to rapidly accelerate in first gear and then go quickly up to top! Typically I only go to 3-4,000 revs on the GS1000.

Comment

Working...
            X