can i repair an igniter???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i repair an igniter???

My father is an electronic technician.. 40 yrs now.. is brilliant with this.. but i have not taken the igniter box off the 85 GS550E... can it be removed..taken apart and repaired???????????

tim

Unless you have another one for parts? It is probably not repairable. The Mfg does not list individual parts and often there are no pn #s that can be cross refrenced for replacement. On the other hand you have nothing to loose by taking it appart

Comment

some fellas do it for yammy boxes. Open it and see of there are any obviously burned parts. My son repaired a mother board once by removing one part at a time and testing the part. no schematic was available. Perhaps you could teach us all something when you are done.

Comment

If your dad is an electronics technician he should be able to whip a prototype on a bread board in an hour or so for you to test. Especially if you have your bikes manual with a schematic diagram of the bikes wiring (not necessarily the igniter). All he may need then is the impedance of the coils secondary with plugs and all, possibly 32k Ohms.

My basic interpretation of the igniter box (assuming my 82 1100) is this.

Receives pulse from signal generator > igniter amplifies > igniter pulsates batteries 12volts for a specific coil which allows the coil to step up the voltage from 12v to 18000v plus or so for the plugs.

Each received pulse from the signal generator would correspond to a specific coil. Hence on a 4cyl 2 coil your ignitor would probably have two identical circuits.

As an idea ask him for it would be handy to have such a diagram placed here, for I would say that there isn't more than $10 worth of parts in in an igniter.

Comment

Fixed mine once by going over the solered components with a soldering iron it worked for a few months, So i would do it you have nothing to lose

Comment

Paul, I think that the ignitor pulses a ground to the coil. 12 VDC+ is hardwired to the coil waiting for the other side to be grounded.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
              Paul, I think that the ignitor pulses a ground to the coil. 12 VDC+ is hardwired to the coil waiting for the other side to be grounded.
              That is the way it works on my 1100e Don. 12 volts always to one(primary side lug) of each coil and the circuit ground is completed by the box.

Comment

Yours doesn't have the access panel to put a new flint in it? 8O 8O :twisted:

Comment

The ignitors that have been filled with epoxy aren't repairable but the others are. You can even change the ignition advance by changing capacitors. If I could get mine open I bet I could even build another one. Suzuki wouldn't likely have anything in them other than transistors, capacitors, and perhaps resistors for biasing.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
                    Yep, It seems to be the negative side that gets pulsed. I just pulled out the diagram and one side of the coils primary receives +12v coming through the kill switch in the run position.

Comment

Working...
                    X