Cleaning the corrosion from Electrical Connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning the corrosion from Electrical Connectors

Is there some chemical that will remove the tarnish and corrosion from the electrical connectors? I remember seeing a chemical product on TV that would instantly remove tarnish from silver and brass. Could there be something out there we could use on the connectors to decrease the connection resistance? Thought that while I have the wiring harness off this would be the best time to fix it.

Clean up the connections with a wire brush or 360 grit sandpaper. I have a brass brush I use but I keep a steel one for really badly corroded connectors.
    I like to smear a little petroleum jelly over the connection to keep them from corroding as quickly in the future.
    Works for me.

Comment

Use a brass or stainless steel wire brush. Avoid using sandpaper since the silica particles are non conductive. When reconnecting, use some dielectric grease; I don't recommend petroleum jelly. You can get the dielectric from you local auto parts store. It is also advisable to use it under your sprak plug caps.

Comment

Soft steel wool or emery cloth (preffered) and WD40. They will be like new when done. Then you can wipe them clean with a dry cloth and apply some petroleum jelly as dwarf8 mentioned which works wonders for keeping them in that condition.

Emery cloth alone will do it but if there is a lot of corrosion on them then I would soak them in the WD40 first for a while then wipe it off before hitting it with the cloth.

Comment

That would work for the male bullet connectors but what about the female bullet connectors and the multi pin connectors? I can replace the bullet connectors if I have to but I have no idea where to get pins for the multi-pin connectors.

Comment

I use a 22 cal gun bore cleaning tip and force it into the center with some WD40 and have good success. Anything mildly abrasive that can fit into it will clean it out for you. You may want to go the route of buying new ones to simply replace them with if they are really bad. You can by all sorts of connectors at electronics supply stores. Even Radio Shack may have them, I have never looked there. We have wholesale electronics supply places here. The internet I'm sure has places you could order new barrel connectors to be put on if you want.

The 22 cal gun cleaning tip I mentioned works. I use gun cleaning tips to clean inside of all sorts or parts. And when it comes to cleaning electrical contacts I cannot stress enough how much WD40 is your freind.

Comment

Isn't CocaCola supposed to work?

Comment

I wondered about the "liquid tarnish remover" myself. Seems like it could work, but does it leave some type of coating on the connector? Would seem to be the best, for I could take a bowl and dip, dip, dip, dry and done.

So I will reask the question, why not the chemical tarnish removers?

Kenny

Comment

That's what I'm looking for. The lazy mans way.

Comment

I would try WD-40 or contact cleaner (the type that's used in the electronics industry). Spray it on and into the connectors, let it do its work for half an hour or so and put everything back together. It's not the perfect way, but it's easy.

Coca Cola is great for removing rust, but the parts have to be cleaned thoroughly afterwards, to remove all the sugar that's left behind.

Don't know anything about chemical tarnish removers...

Comment

Originally posted by KennyJ
                      I wondered about the "liquid tarnish remover" myself. Seems like it could work, but does it leave some type of coating on the connector? Would seem to be the best, for I could take a bowl and dip, dip, dip, dry and done.

So I will reask the question, why not the chemical tarnish removers?

Kenny
                      OK. This isn't rocket science, or is it? If this product doesn't exist then it needs to be invented. Do we have any inventers here? So which one of us wants to be a billionare?

Comment

I use a product available at most automotive supply stores or Radio / TV supply sources. It is an aerosol spray; it comes with a plastic tube for concentrating the spray into confined areas. I used this with a great deal of success on my 83 GS. The product evaporates. After applying to male and female connectors, immediately exercise the connections, which should be sufficient to clean the surface. Do not expect the surface to be shiny; the only way to make it shiny is to literally remove the connector finish. Doing so will shorten the life of the connectors. I would avoid using abrasives of any kind on electrical connectors.

Comment

OK. I did some surfing and found this product. Anyone familiar with this product?

SERVISOL SUPER 10 (UK) Looking for a US version.
                          Switch and contact cleaning lubricant. Quickly removes tarnish and other deposits. Residual lubrication film protects contact surfaces. Prevents arcing between dry contacts. safe to use on plastics, rubber and other delicate materials.

Comment

Visit Radio Shack and ask for TV contact cleaner. Not all stores will have it, and it may have to come from old stock. It was great for use on
                            older TV tuners, and while the tuners are no longer being produced the cleaner still works well on many other things.

It comes in a spray can and will clean off most residues and leave a good electrical surface.
                            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                            X