Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak

Oil is dripping from where the tach cable enters the cylinder head on my 1980GS 1000E. I assume there is some kind of seal but I can't find it in the Suzuki manual.

There is a small rubber seal that is a press fit. Easy to fit, solves the problem.

Comment

Some have 2 grommets, one inside, one outside.
      My 1980 1000S has 2. Pain in the neck, but once replaced, it should go another 23 years.
      Just be careful, if you remove the valve cover, be prepared to replace the valve cover gasket.

Is it dripping down the cable and onto the front fender? It's probably the inside gasket/grommet.
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

You should be able to do it without taking the cam cover off. Threr is a 10 mm bolt holding the adapter to the engine. Leave the cable connected so that you have something to grab. Wiggle and pull on it and it should come out. You may need to use a screw driver and pry on the grouve to pop it out, JUST BE CAREFULL don't apply too much pressure. There is an O ring type seal on the outside of the adapter and a seal inside the adapter Make note of the direction it is installed. The job should take you 15 minutes

Comment

Working...
        X