• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new header

If i buy a new pipe does it come with collars and bolts

With collars, yes. But bolts, probably not

Comment

Sometimes the collars are mounted further in or out than the stock pipe, so be sure to measure for any differences. If the collar/flange is out further, such as my Vance&Hines pipe, you will need longer bolts. I needed 5 mm longer. If you try to make the shorter stock bolts work, they won't have enough bite and will strip the head. With some pipes you may even need shorter bolts. Just take good measurements. I also suggest new exhaust gaskets to avoid leaks, especially when you're putting on a different pipe. Thread the new bolts in uniformly and don't over-torque. My 1000's are about 8-10 ft/lb. Some say to put a little anti-sieze compound on the bolts too.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The anti-sieze compound on the bolts is HIGHLY recommended.

Comment

I'd definitely get new bolts regardless of whether or not your old ones are long enough. Stainless bolts are cheap enough for 8 of 'em, and coupled with some anti-sieze compound, are cheap, cheap, cheap insurance against broken header bolts in the future.

This coming from a charter member of the Broken Header Bolt League.

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane
            I'd definitely get new bolts regardless of whether or not your old ones are long enough. Stainless bolts are cheap enough for 8 of 'em, and coupled with some anti-sieze compound, are cheap, cheap, cheap insurance against broken header bolts in the future.

This coming from a charter member of the Broken Header Bolt League.

-Q!
            I belong to the stripped clutch cover bolt and broken brake rotor bolt league.

Comment

Working...
            X