repairing new old 550gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

repairing new old 550gs

ok, so i just got the bike. and now looking to fix it.
    problems i see are thus:
    1.no petcock, ordered one on ebay, but do i really need one? could i get by without it? i found the cheapest one on ebay and it possibly wont fit. waiting for an email response to the bike its from.
    2.exhaust rusted through, headers muffler and baffle. need replacing looks like. possibly fix headers, take off the rust and patch a small hole in one of them...plausible?
    3.throttle seems sticky. cable problem maybe? my dad suggested cable cleaner to see if that would work. cant tell if other cables are allright or not.

most of the rubber seems allright on it, not sure about electricals, once i get payed im going to go get a battery. also am looking for a manual.

just wanted to get some insight on anything else i might want to check.
    thanks (=

-sean

so the bike runs okay and starts up good?

since you just got it, i'd suggest changing the oil and filter...dont run crap oil through it. you didn't say what year or model it is?

as for the exhaust, you can try to repair it...or keep your eyes on ebay where you'll find many adequate replacment exhausts both original and aftermarket, for it.

~Adam

Comment

I'm parting an 80 550. Not sure what year yours is, but let me know if you need anything.

Comment

its a 1982 gs550 l i think. doesnt run yet, ill have pics soon.
        thatd be really cool ill look to see what i need

Comment

You need a petcock to control fuel flow as well as your reserve functions. You could flood the hot engine with gas otherwise & you've got a serious fire hazard.
          Follow your throttle cables to make sure they aren't kinked or bent, then give 'em a good lubing. Cables are relatively cheap, so replace them if you think they're worn out. Nothing worse than being stranded because of a cheap cable breaking.

Comment

well when i got the tank, there was either a petcock, or a fuel cutoff valve. i dont really know which. it has an off and on position and thats it i think.
            the cable doesnt seem to be bent or anything. but i will lube them when i get a chance to head to autozone

-sean

Comment

Working...
            X