The first body changes have begun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first body changes have begun...

I finally got around to replacing the handlebars on the GS750. The new ones fit MUCH better than the old buckhorn bars and these give a much sportier stance.

Old bars...

New bars...

I also removed the rear fender for replacement.
    Going for the bobbed look of the Vstar650 or Honda Rebel OR I would like to fit a Sportbike Rear-end on there somehow.

Now if only I could get that bloody front fender off....

Dm of mD

Oh yeah....the only snag that I did run into was taking the bolts out of the taillight assembly to get that off the rear fender. EVERY BOLT was rusted solid!!! They all broke while taking them off!! The bolts that hold the fender to the rear subframe were all good. I sprayed them with some grease and put them back in the frame to hold the rear lights in place.

Any idea what Rear end will fit good on there? Or will anything thats not stock have to be a custom fit?

Dm of mD

Comment

Nice 750. I notice that with the shorter bars, (which are indeed more functional than the originals), the brake line from the master cylinder is too long. Get yourself a shorter line, preferably a braided one.

That's a 16-valve GS750L. What's the year?

Comment

Thank you nick. This bike is a 1981 GS750L.
        I will wait on the shorter brake lines because I decided this morning that I'm getting a 2-3 inch riser for the bars. They are just a bit too forward for me. I am concerned over the angle my back will be at while riding. I don't want to stress my back any more than I have to while riding. The risers will allow me to take a sporty stance when I want to and not ride with my arms at full lock all the time.

Dm of mD

Comment

i like the bars, where did you get them?

you should also resize your images about 50% before you post them next time, they're really big

~Adam

Comment

I have those same grips on my bike right now I am thinking about going with the fat grips again this coming year. Not sure yet? What is everyones take on fat vs thin grips?

Comment

AOD, I got the bars off of a Honda Magna that was at the Baltimore Cycle Salvage yard. I sanded them down and painted them BBQ black. I had to drill holes in them to hold the controls as the Stock handlebar had holes to accomodate the holding pins on the control assemblies. IE: parts with kill switch and light controls.

How do I go about resizing my photos? Is there a way to do it on the boards here like most other boards?

Dm of mD

Comment

You can use any photo editor. If you have MS office installed then you most likely have MS photo editor. Of course there are a load of good programs, I use Adobe Photoshop and some others but even MS paint will do it. Make them about 640x480 or 800x600 and they should be fine.

Comment

Awesome! I will do that before I upload them to the remote server the next time I post pics.

Dm of mD

Comment

Depending on your mechanical prowess, you can make the tail from nearly any bike work on yours. I'd try an early eighties 750E tail - since you've already got the fender off, you know roughly where the mounting holes are already. You might have to fab up some brackets for the inside of the tail, but it shouldn't be anything a dremel tool or hacksaw can't handle.

I'd get some steel wool (or dremel) and spraypaint to attack the rust while you're working on it - at least to try to keep it from getting worse over the winter. You can get scads of replacement parts on ebay for cheap.

Great project bike, though. Keep us posted.

(PS - what's with the branches under the carbs??)

-Q!

Comment

Oh hehe...the branches under the carbs are there to hold them up as the carbs are only connected to the intake manifold by the boots. I didn't want them to stretch or tear before I got the carbs back off the bike. I'm not putting that godawful airbox back on the bike so I have no choice but to wait and find a rejet kit.

Till then...the bike sits and gets body work done.

Dm of mD

Comment

Oh yeah, the bars are Renthal Fatbar Mini Bend Handlebars that I picked up at the salvage shop for $10.00

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                        X