Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help removing carbs

Hey,

I'm trying to get the carbs off my bike for an overhaul, but the Haynes manual I have gives an entirely unsatisfactory description of how to get them off. I know I have to somehow shift the airfilter back and/or remove it to start with, but can't find any description of how to go about that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My bike is a 1980 GS550L. Thanks.

--Tyler

Wish I could help you dude. I got my bike with the carbs apart and off the bike. I tried to fit the carbs back on the bike with that stupid airbox in the way and gave up. No choice but to ditch the airbox and get a stage-3 kit for the carbs.

The airboxes on these bikes REALLY get in the way!

Dm of mD

Comment

Removing the carbs of a GS550 is quite difficult, since you can't remove the airbox (at least on a GS550E).
      Loosen or better remove the bolts that hold the airbox to the frame (under the seat), loosen the clamps on the carbs and pull the airbox backwards as far as you can. With some force and lots of patience you should be able to create enough space to pull the carbs out.
      I'm afraid there's no easy way, at least not that I know of.

Putting everything back together is perhaps even more of a challenge.... :?
      There must have been lots of muscled Japanese mechanics at the Suzuki factory in those days... 8O

Comment

Soft rubber boots are essential. Heating them with a blow dryer will usually make a world of difference. If they are hard as a rock or cracked, replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
          There must have been lots of muscled Japanese mechanics at the Suzuki factory in those days... 8O
          nope, just smart little buggers!!!
          when they built them, they placed the engine in the frame as far foward as it would go, they then installed the carbs,then the air box, then slid the engine back to its proper mounting place.
          they failed to consider that one day some one may have to remove the carbs.
          that is one of my favorite things with my 1000g, the carbs and air filter both slide out the right side as a assembly, pretty easy.

Comment

Well, I got them out, but what a pain. Ended up doing a lot of wiggling and pushing until they finally "slid" out. Lucky for me, all the rubber was still good and flexible, which made it much easier. Not looking forward to putting them back in there at all. Oh well, such is life.

Thanks for the help guys!

--Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
              Originally posted by jojo
              nope, just smart little buggers!!!
              when they built them, they placed the engine in the frame as far foward as it would go, they then installed the carbs,then the air box, then slid the engine back to its proper mounting place.
              Those tricky little #$%@$#!!! 8O
              I bet they did that with a huge grin on their faces!

Originally posted by focus frenzy
              that is one of my favorite things with my 1000g, the carbs and air filter both slide out the right side as a assembly, pretty easy.
              Same goes for my GS850.
              Well, another example of:

SHAFTIES RULE!!

Comment

I found that silicone spray lube helps a lot when installing.

Comment

I got ahold of some silicon vacuum grease and liberally coated the boots and ends of the carbs. Made moving the carbs in and out much easier and later served to plug up any air leaks.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by gpzkat
                    I found that silicone spray lube helps a lot when installing.

Altough it is easy to get carbs off, and slide back the air box of my 650 KAT , I put a little silicone to keep flexible rubber boots .
                    That helps me to install, and in the future, to get it off.....and prevents problems.

Good luck.

Eliseo.

Comment

I put pods on my bike. Makes removal and installation a breeze! Try taking carbs off of a V65 Magna, a 750 Virago, or a CBX!! 8O

I swear Honda's got to be the worst. The MUST build the bike AROUND the airbox! I've stripped out bikes at my buddy's salvage shop, and on a Honda, the last piece to come off always seems to be the airbox! :roll:
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                      X